What's new

Japanese food that won't scare my family!

xathenex

後輩
8 Feb 2005
Hello all!

I'm having party later this summer, to raise money for my upcoming study abroad in Japan! Its going to be mostly family, maybe a few friends. It going to be a Japan "theme", complete with language lessons, but I also wanted to have some japanese food! My family is VERY reluctant to try new foods, especially japanese foods! And I don't know much about Japanese foods! Can someone give me a recipie or a food item that won't scare my non food adventurous family? 👍

~Brittany

Udon. Nothing could possibly be more unoffensive than udon.

My first thought was yakiniku too. But I figured some pedant would point out that it isn't Japanese food.

mikecash said:
My first thought was yakiniku too. But I figured some pedant would point out that it isn't Japanese food.

same could be said for most food in japan though
dont worry about the pedants
they would prolly be dismissed as such

Once I've made gyoza dumplings for my parents in-law which they hated, I guess it was way too strong in flavor for them. It is kind of hard to introduce Japanese food to someone who is unfamiliar with it.
How about grilled skewered chicken with teriyaki sauce -yakitori and fine Japanese noodle -somen with dipping sauce. Those are super easy to make, not so weird, good summer food and visually appealing.

i made a Japanese dinner for my mom one time: clear soup with carrot and daikon flowers, tori no takikomi gohan, and some tofu dengaku. she loved all :winklove:

I prepare all kinds of things in tempura style batter - always good. And if you do yakitori - leave a little sauce on the side as a dip for tempura dishes.

I dunno if that's authentic practise - but everybody seems to like it !

However .... :cautious:

If you want to go really wild, and can get it ... try tempting them with fugu!

... But check out your insurance, and inform the police first ..... !

(Perhaps you should save this one for the mother-in-law....) :giggle: 👍

Regards ... and bon appetit !

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

debatable, because of it portugese roots, but tonkatsu is easy to make and no one I know has ever said eeww! most markets carry tonkatsu sauce(yum) the recipe is on the back(kikkoman that is). I put tonkatsu sauce on everything........ 😎

Back
Top Bottom