What's new

Japanese Flags To Translate

I must first say none of the flags pictured are mine all the pictures are borrowed from the book(imperial Japanese good luck flags and one-thousand stitch belts) (author Michael A Bortner. DDS) pictures are from chapter 9 pages 97/ 98/100/102/103/104/105/.

Attachments

• 100_0425.JPG
    100_0425.JPG
    839.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_0426.JPG
    100_0426.JPG
    780.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_0427.JPG
    100_0427.JPG
    812.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_0428.JPG
    100_0428.JPG
    841.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_0429.JPG
    100_0429.JPG
    793.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_0430.JPG
    100_0430.JPG
    767.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_0431.JPG
    100_0431.JPG
    788.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
I totally understand what you mean, the world is full of contradictory sets of "facts," and it's hard to approach it all with an open mind without feeling like you really don't know anything for sure anymore. It's important for us to all be working towards a better collective understanding of what is actually true, and not cling too strongly to something we've come to believe if new evidence or a more nuanced version arises. I think the misunderstanding was an honest one and just a result of a generalized statement, as you pointed out. Thanks for your understanding; it's helpful to have collectors who are actually into this stuff, to bring your own knowledge into the fold. Cheers

Well, actually, phrases ビルマ戦線 or ラングーン上陸 are not the only one reason the second flag is questionable. Even if those ones or another one ラ(ン?)ヨウ攻略 are not written on the flag, it's still questionable. The same goes with the third flag. "Too many slogans" is not the only one reason, either. In other words, the existence of authentic flags that contain similar phrases or many slogans can't guarantee the authenticity of the flags in this thread. I believe it would be quite rare if those flags exist, though.
I just tend not to list every reason in detail, unless the OP asks about it like in this thread. Here's examples of questionable points in the third flag. Hope you understand other reasons I mentioned above.
messhihoko.jpgbuunchokyu.jpgtadaganbare.jpg

I would like to make a public apology to Toritoribe. I am very sorry if I came on too strong and you felt like I was insulting you. it was never my intention I was wanting to point out that when we say things like never it is a powerful statement. I collect ww2 militaria for my pleasure I love history and to be the guardian of it until I pass it on gives me great pleasure. I have been around this stuff from the day I was born. my father was a big collector. in all my years of collecting I have learned never to say never because you never know what new info is out there. yes, some new info hurts but other times it is good too. I hope we can put this aside and learn from one another. have a very good day
[h4][/h4]

I must first say none of the flags pictured are mine all the pictures are borrowed from the book(imperial Japanese good luck flags and one-thousand stitch belts) (author Michael A Bortner. DDS) pictures are from chapter 9 pages 97/ 98/100/102/103/104/105/.
I did this in a new thread because I feel it is important to show it does happen
Thank you for sharing these. As I said earlier, I don't know much about this stuff, but would these all be considered commemorative victory flags, or are any of them yosegaki hinomaru? I would think that, at least by definition, it seems that since the yosegaki flags were given to soldiers as they left for war, they wouldn't contain any information about the soldier's later exploits and deployments?

edit: quoted post and this response merged into this thread, edited for clarity

Last edited:
that is a good question. I would think it would be done on the return because wouldn't this kind of be an intelligence breach? this also leads to the question of what would these flags be considered? a time in service flag then?

Back
Top Bottom