What's new

Japan Photos 2018

...seems very new. it is like it is coming out from its factory just now. Is it the same your car or is a new model of the brand?...

It's brand new, and that's a dealer showroom. It's a Nissan GT-R, ~US$100,000 and my car is more like yours than this new one.

Wow :emoji_flushed: $100,000 !!
With the money I have, I can only buy one of its wheels!
Nevertheless, it is a nice and dreamy car, though is considered as a big one in the crowded streets.

I think its body and chassis is made from AL or carbon fiber to be light.
What does mean GT-R?

Was over to Tokyo and then Kanagawa (actually Minamiashigara) for a long weekend. One place we visited was Saijoji. This would be an easy day trip from Tokyo, and something that someone going to Hakone should definitely tack on before or after. From Odawara, take the Daiyuzan line to its end, and then hike about 5-6km up to it. (FWIW--we were driving, and there's plenty of parking.) I'd suggest that JREF do an article on this--it's pretty important. A couple cell phone pics:

IMG_20181103_103331063_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181103_104725082.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more...

This first is not bad, but I missed that there was that bit of roof 'peaking out' :emoji_face_palm: upper left. Shoulda positioned better so that was gone.

IMG_20181103_105447928.jpg
IMG_20181103_104838023.jpg

Although I mostly love grasslands with flowers, fewer trees and blue lake (vast landscape), nonetheless these views are beautiful as well and the historical houses are interesting too.

Please send some natural Japanese grassland photos.

Thank you 🙂:

Last edited:
The dog and I walk by a lot of this--pretty much every time we go out. People are getting their winter gardens in, planting things that do well from now and on into real winter. It's nice to watch the progress.

I'm not at all good at this, but how many veggies can you identify?

winter gardens.jpg

Was over to Tokyo and then Kanagawa (actually Minamiashigara) for a long weekend. One place we visited was Saijoji. This would be an easy day trip from Tokyo, and something that someone going to Hakone should definitely tack on before or after. From Odawara, take the Daiyuzan line to its end, and then hike about 5-6km up to it. (FWIW--we were driving, and there's plenty of parking.) I'd suggest that JREF do an article on this--it's pretty important.

Coincidentally, @Maciamo and I hiked around Daiyuzan-saijōji on the very same weekend (on Saturday). We started out at the temple, headed south, crested Myōjin-ga-take and finished in Miyagino. A scenic hike, though we had a bit of rain. I was planning on writing up a blog entry or an article, but haven't had time for it.

Oh, and we're always looking for contributors to the article section! 🙂:

At present, my car is this type but an older one.

paykan.jpg

I remember the previous model, they were called Peykan or Paykan, if I remember correctly.

@Mansoor , are they still driving those license-built Citroën Diane? My father had one of these when we lived in Tehran in the mid-70s:

diane-iran.jpg

jiane-2.jpg

No, it doesn't exist now.

Before the car that I showed in my previous post I had one of this model cars that was called "Gian" or "Jian".

In fact, it was the same old French Citroen but its body was redesigned in Iran, in the Shah season.

Neither this nor that model that I showed were not Iranian .
My second car is called "Paykan". It was the same old British Hillman car with an Iranian body and cabin designation.

Shah chose it as a national car! and somebody who had a large garage in Tehran made this body and cabin for it!
After happening the Islamic revolution in Iran and establishing the Islamic republic, these two model cars were put away and their production lines were stopped.

One of the two automotive companies began producing Renault and also Korean Pride, and another company went to producing Peugeot models.

Years after, the companies started manufacturing some other newer and more luxuriant models which is still ongoing. Some parts of these cars are French and some are made in Iran.

As far as I know, apart from French, there is not a notable commercial relationship between Iran and western countries in automotive industries. In recent years Iranian industries mostly tend to partnership with Asian lands, especially Russia, South Korea and China.

Of course unlike S-Korea and China, Russia hasn't an important new automotive industry and I haven't heard yet we have any dealing with Russia in the automotive industry.

Last edited:
A few snapshots from my Sunday commutes, all taken with iPhone 6.

tsukishima-koban-1.jpg

Nishi Naka Dori kōban in Tsukishima (built in 1921 and said to be the oldest existing police box in Tokyo)

Etchujima in Kōtō-ku:

etchujima01.jpg

etchujima02.jpg

etchujima03.jpg

The last day of operation at Tsukiji Fish Market. Well, that's what it looked like from Kachidoki-bashi.

tsukiji-oct2018.jpg

Nice pictures. I lived in Koto-ku for a while. I love the Sumida River, especially the approach to Tsukishima with the looming tall apartment buildings.

A few "today" shots:

Attachments

• shot-A copy.jpg
    shot-A copy.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 175
  • shot-B copy.jpg
    shot-B copy.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 180
  • shot-C copy.jpg
    shot-C copy.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 164
I think I like the third one, above. Someone pointed out that I was only shooting landscape, and should have tried portrait mode some...

And here's one more:

Attachments

• shot-F copy.png
    shot-F copy.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 179
Based on someone's suggestions, this might be a better version/crop of the first one, above:

Attachments

• Garden.jpg
    Garden.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 161
Miscellaneous.

higashiasagawa.jpg

Last week's ride along the Asagawa.

kouyou.jpg

Walking the dog.

sashiminsake.jpg

Spontaneous sashimi feast with some superb sake.

wheresmysashimi.jpg

Waiting for his share of sashimi.

I discovered a new (to me) bridge across the Sumida just south of Kachidoki Bridge but couldn't find any info on its name. Anyhow, it offers stunning views onto Sumida River / Keihin Canal, the former Tsukiji Fish Market and Hamarikyu Garden.

09122018-02.jpg

09122018-01.jpg

09122018-03.jpg

natsumikan03.jpg

Today, we had to trim our poor mikan (tangerine) tree which was creaking and moaning under its weight: we harvested 39.6kg of natsumikan (夏蜜柑 ), most of which will go to our neighbours who turn them into marmalade. Win-win. :giggle:

My wife and her sister went over to a fish market near the port (actually, right on the water), shopping/prepping for new year's. She got four of these (¥18k), tho only two shown here. One turned into a part of dinner.

1546074739320.jpg

1546074749879.jpg

A different kind of crab tonight--kobako, more of a local's item, and not at all sought out by visitors. My wife is usually very frugal, but I guess the fact that this is that last till after the holidays is reason to splurge.

Plus a couple small iwashi, and the salad combines avo, cuke, and tomato.

IMG_20181230_183243930.jpg

Back
Top Bottom