What's new

Japan Photos 2014

Great photos.
I'll be heading down to Akihabara to get me a camera too I think!

I've never been to Hokkaido or Okinawa ....the latter looks so lush and tropical ...it's hot and sunny all year round I suppose, so perhaps wouldn't matter which season I went in; but Hokkaido would obviously be very different throughout the year.
The Mrs has been to the Sapporo snow festival a couple of times, which she raves about. I like walking, so the summer months would be best for that I imagine.

Well, it gets a bit chilly down here in the winter, but not too bad. I recommend late fall or early-mid spring. Not when it's too cold to do anything, but also not when it's so hot you're drenched in sweat when you step outside.

A friend of mine went to Sapporo and Hokkaido recently and from what I hear she absolutely agrees with your wife about the Snow Festival!

The Mrs has been to the Sapporo snow festival a couple of times, which she raves about. I like walking, so the summer months would be best for that I imagine.
Sapporo itself is nothing special. If you come, be sure to have a drivers licence and just drive around. Lots of spots to have outdoor barbecues. The weather is only good from late May to early October though.

March in Sapporo. Snow is piled two meters on the left, naturally collecting at a meter and a half on the right. If there was less, I'd simply hate it, but I consider the snow comically excessive, and find something pleasant in its ridiculousness. When I was a kid, I fantasised about this much snow. Just like being on Hoth.
13060762055_40f57f9aac_c-1.jpg

Anti-nuke protest last weekend, a few hundred people snaking along the street. I still consider Japanese passive politically, which is why Abe and Ishihara get away with being such colossal douchebags, but it's good to see people will get outside on a cold day to stand up for what they believe in. Protesting in the winter impresses me a lot more than protesting in the summer.
13060885143_7068295195_c-1.jpg

We would probably drive up to Hokkaido (time permitting) as I love the freedom that the car gives you.
Looks like summer would be a good time to visit, it would also give me a break from the humidity you get further south.

The snow does look great. I too have great memories of snow from my childhood and the first few days give you that hunkering down at home infront of the fire vibe. Depending on how well the local authorities are prepared however, it can all turn into an icey, slushy hell soon after.
I imagine Sapporo is well organised in that respect though.

Interesting photo of the Anti-nuke protesters ... good to see.
I know a man who was involved in the Anti Vietnam protests in the late 60s. He was a Todai student and was arrested by the police during a rally, locked up and held for a few days.
That incident ruled him out of any kind of job with the Japanese government or civil service and he was even prohibited from becoming any kind of licensed teacher. He ended up running his own little ramen shop.
He is a remarkably intelligent and well read guy who is still politically active I think.

High time for some new photos. A few shots I took around Itabashi and Sugamo last weekend, unfortunately I had just brought my iPhone (click to enlarge).

sugamo03.jpg

Jizo-dori (地蔵通り), aka the "senior citizens' Harajuku". :)

sugamo02.jpg

Around Koganji Temple

sugamo04.jpg

Small temple in Itabashi, cannot recall its name.

sugamo06.jpg

Around Jizo-dori

sugamo01.jpg

Rikugien Gardens (六義園)

Oh yeah, in Sakura Zaka. There is a bar about one minute up the road from there which was my old haunt (from the position of the camera, turn left, there is a hill down, and at the foot of the hill, an empty lot (left side). The building next to the lot has a great painting that says Sakura. That building has two hidden entrances, one for each floor, and they were both awesome places. My favourite place to go in Naha....

Wait, why not just post a pic?

13304485044_2e96b04b39_c-1.jpg

Wonko, can you locate this pic? It's called "Gorilla Chop Rock"... Make it a summer scavenger hunt ;)

13304120525_94a6ff2205_c-1.jpg

My language exchange group went to Sakura ramen restaurant downstairs. Wasn't horribly impressed with the ramen, but very cool atmosphere.

Couple shots from walking around kokusai Dorii afterwards:

9y5urury-1.jpg

unugejat-1.jpg

ty7asehe-1.jpg

Manneken Pis (J version) in Hamamatsucho Sta., Tokyo. My wife's shot.

No updates in a while!

full-1.jpg

Sunday superpour: 'localized showers', all the rage this rainy season. Glad I made it onto the sidewalk in time!

The weather in Hokkaido has been terrible for two months, up until the last week. All the photos from me recently have been family ones.

Nice weekend. Went to the rural area of the place. This is called 雲海/Cloud-sea. This was low tide, as it might be called. You can imagine how nice it would be to wake up in the suite of one of those hotels popping out of the clouds. Might be worth the cost. Just the trip to the top of the mountain to see this was ¥2,000 per person, so I shudder to think what staying there would cost.

10590601_10152740588000540_7697089879670151172_n.jpg

Outstanding shot!

Just rain and storm here today: Typhoon 19 is passing by. Nevertheless, we had time for a bit of sightseeing in Takeda Shingen's hometown.

takeda-shingen-statue.jpg

Back
Top Bottom