What's new

Japan Naturalization- Change of names

gaijinsan71

後輩
7 May 2007
Hi everybody

I`d like to ask if someone has any experience related with the change of names in case of naturalizing Japanese. It is usually said that original names must be changed into a Japanese-sounding name. However, I heard that nowadays things are more loose, so I wonder whether keeping a name with 2 consonants (like Bruce, Sandra, etc, etc) is feasible at least as the romaji version of a katakana name. Some people told me you can ask to write both, your original and the new name in the koseki if citizenship is granted

In fact my concern is this: let`s suppose your name is Peter Smith (or whatever you else you like, this is just an example). If you make it in katakana will be piteru sumidu (I guess). Doesn`t matter if Japanese consider you Mr. Sumidu instead of Smith, it is reasonably to use a J-sounding name while in Japan. But the point is when you travel abroad, or when you need any kind of offical document regarding your person. Or even the passport. When written in romaji, will it read Sumidu or Smith? Although it might not sound important, changing your name in just one letter is like erasing your past. I would like to go for a Jp passport (only for convenience, no special love or altruistic reasons) but I want to keep my romaji name to prove outside the borders that I am still the same person who did this or that. So, if any of you knows a bit about this, I`ll be grateful

Is there a pressing need to discard your old citizenship in exchange for a Japanese passport? What's the pressing need for convenience? If you have a resident visa you use the same line as Japanese passports in immigration when re-entering the country...

I'm not sure but i don't think it's that you need a Japanese sounding name, but that you need a name in Kanji. Some people choose characters that are approximate transliterations of their English names, like David Aldwinckle -> 有道出人 (arudou debito). Also, if you're in Japan you should probably be aware that there is no "du" sound, unless if you're referring to づ, which sounds the same as ず. Smith would be スミス.

lastly, both bruce and Sandra both have more than two consonants in them.

On the off chance that I ever go for naturalization, I plan to insist on keeping my name as it is. If told I must have a "Japanese" name, I will point out that there are already at least three Japanese citizens with the same name; they live in my home.

No need to discard my citizenship. That`s out of the question. Whatever the Jp Law says, they can`t take your original passport. Convenience means, going and coming back to Japan any time I want, without thinking of my re-entry. It also means staying abroad as long as I want without worrying about immigration. Nothing else.

Approximate names mean a new identity. Synonimous of problems when you wanna ride a plane, make a transfer abroad, or want to show that you are Mr. A but the Japanese government call you Mr. B. So, it is not a problem to change passports, but it is if they also want to change your life.

Mike Cash

The persons u know, do they have a different spelling between katakana and romaji? I`m sort of curious about the brazilian soccer player Ramos for example. In Japanese he should be RAMOSU. I wonder whether he travels with a passport written Ramos or Ramosu

Last edited:
I believe my wife's passport has her name romanized as "Cash". I seem to recall that one time when she had it issued she had to hand it back to them and tell them to romanize her name as "Cash" instead of as kiyatsushiyu or kyasshu or however the heck they had rendered it. (I once got a credit card in the name of "Maikeru Kiyatsushiyu". Had to send it back and tell them I wouldn't have much luck using it overseas. They reissued it with "Michael Cash" on it, no problem).

The criteria for naturalization are provided in Article 4 of the Nationality Act:
  1. Continuous residence in Japan for five years or more
  2. At least 20 years old and otherwise legally competent
  3. History of good behavior generally, and no past history of seditious behavior
  4. Sufficient capital or skills, either personally or within family, to support oneself
  5. Stateless or willing to renounce foreign citizenship
If you don't respect Japanese law, don't ask them to give you citizenship.

I thought about unloading on him for the same thing, but then decided that I had been contentious enough yesterday and should take a break for a day.

Thanks for your tips! No intention to break the law, some countries simply don`t allow renouncements to citizenship. The JP government knows that. Naturalization is allowed anyway, although probably they can use that argument as an excuse for refusal. Only the popes of Kasumigaseki can make the final decision. Unfortunately I don`t hang out with them so who knows what they will say. Anyway, coming back top the name issue, I was said today by one of the Homukyouku guys, that there is no way to keep a name with 2 consonants, middle name, H, LL, or any other sound non existing in Japanese. Once in katakana, the romanized version will be its replica. Cash, can you confirm your wife`s name appears as Cash in her JP passport? Sorry for asking again, but that would show things might be getting somewhat flexible. According to what I was said (unofficially), being registered in the koseki with the original and the new name may still give one some chances, but I only heard rumors, no solid info. As for the credit card, I agree, I also have it in romaji, never had nay problems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom