What's new

Japan/America Gaming

Onigiri Chan

Sempai
1 Dec 2003
Japanese Gamers vs. American Gamers

Japanese games. 👍
I find a majority of Japanese games released here in America to be very entertaining, works of creative genius.We all know about Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy; famous characters like Samus and Kirby, even Sora from the new Kingdom Hearts. (there are many more)
However as time goes by i'm made acutely aware of the fewer original and refreshing games I see released. I'm certain that the amount of new games hasn't slowed, however with recent developements like GTA, SSX and most other sports titles, i'm hearing less and less of the games I really want to get to know. (don't get me wrong I love GTA) :sick:
I find that less and less does the media cover the newer platformer/rpg/strategy (etc) titles that I really would love to learn more about. Not to mention there is an abundance of video and arcade games in Japan that I couldn't even dream of picking up here in America.
Of course i'd like to get my hands on some of these games; but baby steps.

In short I simply desire a way to experience the world of gaming outside of America. (primarily in Japan)

Last edited:
Japanese games are great, arcades everywhere.. I spent over 10,000 yen on just playing in the arcades because they are so entertaining and the games are 100% better.

See what I really don't understand is why, with a multitude of amazing games, i'm not hearing about a single one of them - much less playing any.
Where'd all the good games go? :?

There are heaps of anime games that never make it to state side or australia and it's a pity really. They're really unique in a way or other. I'm forced to download them which is ok i guess. I don't really play them much, i just get them for collection and my little brother plays them mostly. Recently i got Samurai Deeper Kyo, Cowboy Bebop and Inuyasha games for PS1 and I like the japanese dialogue in the game, it's cool ^^. The games aren't great but for some reason, there's this specialness about them. I guess it's just because i'm not used to them.

Super Robot Wars is the greatest game ever, and will probably never be released over in the West.

Bit of a shame really.

What are some of the games you've played in Japan?
I like robot games >.> there have been very few released.
What games would any of you like to play? I think i'd like to get my hands on some more nifty little simulation games ^^; (like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing)

When I was in Japan, I played A LOT of Initial D Arcade Stage Ver. 2. I was kind of upset because you can't transfer your Japanese card to a US machine, and when I found the US machine while living in Jersey, had to start all over. Sadly, I picked a Skyline R-32 and mistakenly didn't pick the Initial D option which was the best option.

Well, at least I have it at home (^_^)

Peace,

Ant

Gaki said:
Super Robot Wars is the greatest game ever, and will probably never be released over in the West.

I have to agree 100% with you there... the Super Robot Wars games are fantastic! Mixing and matching all the classic anime robot heroes with some of the newer ones as well blows my mind...

I think it was Super Robot Taisen F that really got me... having Eva units tearing up Dr. Hell and his cronies from the Mazinga universe while Getta Robo and Mazinga Z "Getta Beam!" and "Breast Fire!" the bejeezus out of Sachiel and various other Angels is really something that must be experienced...

👍

Is it true that in Japan you can find computer video game store that have games made by Everyday People. What I mean by this is Lets use me for a example. Say me and 2 other friends of mine makes a game that is good and we start to make a series and are friends like it and the popularity of the game spreads, Is there shops in Japan where I could sell it at? I thought I heard this on Discovery Channel.

That would be cool to play game made by non pros

Wakaranai said:
Is it true that in Japan you can find computer video game store that have games made by Everyday People. What I mean by this is Lets use me for a example. Say me and 2 other friends of mine makes a game that is good and we start to make a series and are friends like it and the popularity of the game spreads, Is there shops in Japan where I could sell it at? I thought I heard this on Discovery Channel.

That would be cool to play game made by non pros

I know what you're talking about. I think they still do it but I haven't looked in a long time. They used to do this with console games too not only computer games. There was a place I used to know, if I get the chance then I'll stop by it and see if they do and if they have some kind of mail-ordering system then I'll ask BUT no promises. :)

I've heard about it. I've also heard that a LOT of them are perverted, but that's not really important. Last time I looked into it (via the internet and TV) they exist, but that was about a year ago. I don't see why they would vanish, but who knows? I would love to buy some of them if I had any money... I'm broke 'cause I just bought a Japanese Sony Vaio TR5B... no money left...

Indeed.

Tis true indeed. These games you refer to as known as Doujin Soft(u) and there are whole stores devoted to them in Japan...Saying that I have yet to discover one, but alas - I leave for the great Nippon once more tommorow and therefore shall be taking a sneaky peak around :) . If you have an interest in these games however, and you are not in Japan in the next few days... You could of course take a look at http://mugenguild.cjb.net/ where many upload their games / characters to allow you to customise and play customised games.... enjoy.

You have been enlightened!

POWER GYSER!

Back
Top Bottom