What's new

Japan agrees to stop hunting humpback whales

I'm glad the new Australian prime minister is against whaling. This will probably get some changes made.

Whie he OKs millions of kangaroos to get slaughterd because of pest control. And dingos too which are critically endngered but still regarded as pests. This double standard, a lack of understanding to people who eat a certain type of meat will get him the label and rightfully so the ignorant simple racist.

centrajapan,

again with the millions of Kangaroos left to rot and die in the out back! The information you have is old out of date and not correct, I have directed you to the department of foreign affairs web site before so you could become informed about Australia's practices regarding Kangaroos. But I'll recap here because you seem to have forgotten. Australia harvests four species of Kangaroo, all of which are harvested by licensed catchers, from the wild (a very sustainable method I'm sure you will agree) these kangaroos are used for either human food consumption or pet food. No food is left to rot. Australian gun license law allows a certain amount of animals to be hunted (pigs, deers, foxes, goats, rabbits and kangaroos) to name a few. These are hunted inside the law and have certain bag limits as with fishing in Australian waters, no endangered or venerable species is hunted.

Dingos in Australia come in a variety of breeds (just like whales there are many types!), some which are endangered others which are not. The dingos you have mentioned which were culled are those on Fraser Island. I was on the island not long after the cull. The reason they were culled was the population had exploded to massive proportions and the dingos were becoming over aggressive towards humans, because some irresponsible humans were feeding these wild animals. This did two things to the dingo population: changed the population size and created a connection for the dingos between human and food. Many other options were sought but in the end the only way to solve the problem was a cull. It was very sad, and now if you are caught feeding dingos on Fraser Island the penalty is high.

So can you please stop using this as an argument and go and read up on the facts, which does not mean u-tube or wikipedia.

Australia harvests four species of Kangaroo, all of which are harvested by licensed catchers, from the wild (a very sustainable method I'm sure you will agree) these kangaroos are used for either human food consumption or pet food. No food is left to rot. Australian gun license law allows a certain amount of animals to be hunted (pigs, deers, foxes, goats, rabbits and kangaroos) to name a few. These are hunted inside the law and have certain bag limits as with fishing in Australian waters, no endangered or venerable species is hunted.

Great! Sounds exactly like what Japan and few other countries intend to do with whales that are not endangered. I am sure that most Japanese would consider killing kangaroos horrible no matter what the purpose is, but we don't go to IKC (why isn't there one?) and demand banning of kangaroo hunting, as we have the decency to respect what you eat is mostly your business.

Whales and dolphins are mammals, which makes them different from other fish like tuna and salmon. They're actually not fish.

So are kangaroos, cows, pigs, and dogs (yes, there are people that eat dogs). I'd be careful with that kind of logic because that is exactly what would be perceived as arrogance based on prejudice and racism (I'm not implying that you are). Most Japanese (and I would assume other whaling peoples) would find it very hypocritical, to say the least, to argue that eating whales is bad because they are somehow superior to fishes or other marine creatures.

Japan is surrounded by ocean which has been regarded as a precious source of food on which we live. We don't eat seafood because they are delicious, we had to and still have to rely on seafood to survive because we don't have the vast futile land to grow crops and herd cattles like US and Australia. Japanese people have mostly revered and respected (I do admit that there were periods of over-hunting, including certain whales) what they get out of the sea and hunting and eating seafood is deeply rooted in Japanese identity and culture. Scientific arguments on preservation of whales as marine resources aside, arguing that eating whales should be banned because they are "venerable" creatures is tantamount to insulting the Japanese culture. It's not going to work and will only serve to inflame even the most indifferent of the Japanese public.

As I mentioned before, whale eating is actually a declining habit in Japan. If you really care to save more whales from being hunted, it would be best to engage in rational negotiations on a sustainable level of whaling based on scientific facts, keep emotional arguments inside, and to export premium beef and kangaroo meat to please the Japanese dinner tables. Public insult by a Prime Minister would actually send more Japanese to the expensive whale meat restaurants (ironically, whale meat became gourmet food after the banning even though it used to be a cheap substitute for beef and pork) creating more demand for whale meat.

Here in the US, kids are playing in the petting zoo with cows and lambs one morning and eating hamburgers for lunch. I guess there are no kangaroos or crocs in Australian zoos? The anti-whaling hysteria is a bit too much coming from a country where people shoot wild kangaroos for fun.

Kame -

You seem to be constantly missing the point as does Centrajapan.

I am speaking for myself, my own opinions, NOT the Australian governement.

You are totally within your rights to keep attacking the Australian government as Australia is a democracy.

However, I'm not sure if you guys understand English fluently, but please keep on topic when replying to my posts.

I am not a member of parliament!

I would suggest you and Centrajapan write to them and express your rude, and arrogant statements directly, not with me.

You can access the website from here.
Home – Parliament of Australia

Please keep the thread on topic and reply to user's post accurately as it is becoming very annoying.

I may also advise the two of you to do some mdoern day research on Australia for your own education and you may be very suprised how wrong many of your statements are.

The both of you appear to be going around in circles.

Whie he OKs millions of kangaroos to get slaughterd because of pest control. And dingos too which are critically endngered but still regarded as pests. This double standard, a lack of understanding to people who eat a certain type of meat will get him the label and rightfully so the ignorant simple racist.

Centrajapan:

I presume the word he, you are referring to the Australian priminister, Mr. Kevin Rudd.

How do you know that he "OKs" millions of Kangaroos to be killed humanely for "pest control" as you put it?

I'm not sure of your age, you do sound rather young, but I also remind you that you are posting on a Public forum that is searchable worldwide, and as such, I think it's best that you show respect to members, cultures and countries.

Australia And Their Barbaric Kangaroo Holocaust

Rose.

Kangaroo cull targets millions

Government experts have increased the numbers allowed to be shot by commercial hunters from over five-and-a-half million every year to seven-million.

BBC News | ASIA-PACIFIC | Kangaroo cull targets millions

Nearly 6 million kangaroos are slaughtered yearly, making the massacres the largest butchery of wild animals in the world. Almost six million Australians died in 1999... Now there's a bulletin that would make quite a stir on the nightly news. The Australians in question are kangaroos, not humans, however, so the true story of Australia's war on wildlife wouldn't likely make your local news.

http://www.animalsvoice.com/PAGES/features/roos.html

Each night in remote areas of the Australian outback thousands of kangaroos graze peacefully, stand up on hearing an approaching vehicle, stare into a blinding spotlight, and are shot for their meat and skins.

The commercial kangaroo kill ツ'quota' for 2007 (the number permitted to be killed) is just over 3.6 million kangaroos. In the past several years the full quota of kangaroos have been killed in several States; just recently kangaroo shooters have taken to ツ'camping' on the doorstep of NSW wildlife authorities to secure their ツ'tag' allocation

Kangaroo shooting

Indians in USA and Canada agrees with Japan on their whaling stance. White Americans only agrees that Indians hunt whales but not Japanese. Australians think it is OK to kill millions of kangaroos because they are regarded as pests but do not want Japanese to hunt whales for food.

These anti whalers are funny people.

Question.

Since Indians can hunt whales, how about the people in Caribbean they also hunt whales. Can they whale? Since the Caribbean has a tropical climate they should nto whale?

I get it you guys believe whales are the greatest animals on this planet and you are hell bent on shoving your religion down people's throats. When people stop eating whles what animal is next on yur agenda?

Do you guys have a top 10 list of the greatest animals on this planet?

You are aware of the fact that whaling is eco friendly because the natural habitat does not have to be turned into agricultural land?

I think it's you trying to push your opinion on everyone else.
Not really. I am not trying to impose my eating habits down people's throats like you do and other anti whaling racist fanatics.

Thanks for your answer though.

1. Whales
2. Dolphins

Whales are more worth than any other type of animal even including dolphins?

Do you think Inuits should stop eating whale meat? Inuits support Japan on their whaling stance. So do the various Caribbean islands.

So Japan needs to stop eating whales first? AFter Japan who else needs to stop eating whales? I am trying to understand your views although I don't agree with them.

Last edited:
hypocrisy of IWC

why do they make double standard ?

Japan conceded to stop whale investigation.

then Japan offered that Japan want IWC to admit a traditional, small-scale whale hunting for 4 towns like Taiji fisherman's town as same as alaska..

Anti whaling policy is full of flaws because they have one sets of rules for one people and another sets of rules for other people. Its outrageous that people in Taiji are denied to hunt minke whales yet people in Alaska hunt bowhead whales.

Countries like Australia USA seems to have a ranking system of animals and then a ranking system of people too. Where as whaling nation value whales no more or less than any other animal and do not seem to differentiate between the various people hunting whales.

Countries like USA, Australia say. You can use leather products from this animal and some people can eat from that animal but those people over there can not eat from the same animal as those people over there.

Kame -
You seem to be constantly missing the point as does Centrajapan.

I am speaking for myself, my own opinions, NOT the Australian governement.

I am just presenting my argument against your opinion, not the Australian government. As I said, your opinion (to which you are totally entiled to) would be perceived as prejudicial to the eyes of many Japanese people, and that is just what I am trying to convey. Prejudice and racism is not based on the intensions of the offender and often go unrealized by those who offend (everybody can be prejudicial, including and especially Japanese people. Don't take it too personally). I just want to point out that some anti-whaling arguments are perceived that way by many Japanese.

As I read the bbc news that centrajapan cites, I fail to see what the fundamental difference is between hunting millions of wild kangaroos (commercially) and hunting whales in a sustainable way. Both are mammals (seems that matters to some people, I don't know why), both are wild, both are eaten and other parts used effectively, both are adorable creatures to many people (if you poll Japanese kids for popularity, I bet kangaroos would win 9 to 1), both are valuable as tourist attraction, and the list goes on.

Could someone present a convincing argument that would justify one type of hunting over another? If you say you oppose both, I think that's an opinion that I can respect.

If you understand Japanese. Please listen to this from a Japanese perspective.

From the pro whaler himself . On behalf of Japanese government Mr Morishita.

Most Japanese (and I would assume other whaling peoples) would find it very hypocritical, to say the least, to argue that eating whales is bad because they are somehow superior to fishes or other marine creatures.

I think this is an assumption that people are against whaling because of thinking of them as superior to other animals. This is a "whaling" subforum, so we're discussing whales, not other animals. I'm against causing pain for any animal or human. I can accept a hunter killing an animal quickly more than I can accept how animals are kept in cages to be eaten or for their fur.

What is the quick way of killing whales? It seems that because of their size, killing them would take a lot of work, and therefore take time, drawing out their suffering.

I'm against causing pain for any animal or human. I can accept a hunter killing an animal quickly more than I can accept how animals are kept in cages to be eaten or for their fur.
What is the quick way of killing whales? It seems that because of their size, killing them would take a lot of work, and therefore take time, drawing out their suffering.

Are you saying that you wouldn't be against hunting whales if they can be killed quickly enough to minimize their suffering? Or would you have other excuses to argue against sustainable whaling even if whales can be killed humanely? Because if it is the latter, then I don't see much point in taking the discussion to specific killing methods.

I think this is an assumption that people are against whaling because of thinking of them as superior to other animals. This is a "whaling" subforum, so we're discussing whales, not other animals. I'm against causing pain for any animal or human.

Sacrifying any animal for food involves taking lives and it's natural to take other animals as examples to discuss how one practice compares to another. You can't just apply one standard to what you eat and apply a completely different standard to what somebody else eats. Therefore, I don't think it is irrelevant to discuss how other animals are consumed in a comparative context to how whales are consumed.

I am still at a loss as to why you had to mention the obvious fact that whales are mammals and fishes are not?

Centrajapan,
The four species of Australian Kangaroos are estimated to have a population of between 50 and 70 million, this depends on the conditions. If Japan wants to hunt whales for food, then they need to go through the appropriate channels.
As to anti-whalers being funny people and that Australians are racists you need to qualify your judgments. Some Australians are racist, some Japanese people are racist but by implying a whole nation is racist due to one policy or action is ridiculous. As you continue to imply all Australians are racist due to an anti-whaling stance you miss the point and loss all validly in your arguments.

I take it as a compliment that I miss the point seen from anti whaling fanatics like yourself. Australians are racist for opposing Japanese whaling on a cultural preference and not based on sceintific facts. They are racist because they by force use irrational sentiments to change other people's eating habits.

Australia has made more mammals gone extinct than any other country on this planet. A number of kangaroo spiecies have already gone extinct in the short time since the ANglo Saxon prisoners colonised Australia.

Unlike the whale hunt carried out by Japan with hi tech weapons to make sure the kill is done in a most humane manner there are no guidelines for the kangaroo cull. The kangaroos are then left to rot. It is also estimated that
there are lot more kangaroos shot dead illeagaly by poachers.

The symbol of Australia. Kangaroos are getting the same treatment as the Indegenous Australians. They are killed for fun. Its ironic that Australia has made it top priority to make Japanese stop eating whale meat yet at home treat the Kangaroos like ****.

There are 80 whale spiecies. Most of them are not endangered. Industrial whaling no longer happens. Whaling today is done for food and not whale oil. Whale meat is ecological and the whaling industry is a far more green industry than any type of domestic farming.

Whales are no better or worse than any other type of animal. Therefore as long as the hunt is sustanable it is not any worse to hunt whales than any other type of animal on this planet.

The debate is stupid as long as it is a question of whether eating whale is right or wrong. It should be how many whales can be hunted without having negative effects on the stock estimates.

Also..

Whales consume much more fish than human beings. While whales should not be blamed for the over fishing done by human beings it is just as absurd to protect a non endangered single spiecies in a multi spicies eco system.

The whale fanatics ( I like to call them religious cultists) have simply taken the whale out of the eco system due to cultural preference when the fact of the matter is whales are a art of the eco system just like every spiecies on this planet.

Last edited:
centrajapan,

There are racist everywhere in this world. It has something to do, with not liking certain races or even hating them.
My Turkish neighbours never greet or talk to my son and daughter ( adopted from India).
They do greet me because I am white. They look down on darker skinned people.
Yes that is very narrowminded and they are racist.

But what has racism to do with whaling, fishing, shooting and whatever?
Are Canadians racists too? They kill baby seals just for the fur.

I have a question: "Do Norwegians eat whale meat?"

Back
Top Bottom