What's new

Is "We" understood?

RvBVakama

後輩
21 Sep 2014
If I was dining alone and wanted a menu I would use this:
すみません!メニュー、おねがいします。(sumemasen! menyuu, onegaishimasu)
Excuse me, can I get a menu please.

Can one person in a couple say this and they will understand (Excuse me, can we get a menu please.)

OR am I being silly and its obvious that each person wants a menu and you don't need to specify.

PS. Sorry if I translated the hiragana/katakana incorrectly, feel free to correct me :)

Yes, it will be understood that the customers need menus. Of course, some restaurants just have one menu per table - so you may have to share a menu anyway.

You can also say メニューください, and it will be fine.

こんにちは RVBーさん、Did you start to learn Kanji ?! (∪´>‿<`)
I have started to learn kanji about 3 months back on my android phone, but that died a few weeks back and has not been repaired correctly, it has the app I use. I cannot download the app on my backup iPhone ;(

Yes, it will be understood that the customers need menus. Of course, some restaurants just have one menu per table - so you may have to share a menu anyway.

You can also say メニューください, and it will be fine.
thanks, also why 'kudasai' not 'onegaishimasu'?

Because ください means "could you please give me". It is completely appropriate to the situation. As the customer, you don't need to be overly obsequious. I'm not saying お願いします is obsequious, at least not in this scenario. It is fine. But kudasai is also fine.

{ suit both of them kudasai and onegaishimasu , but you can't use both of them too for example when you order , > Koohi o onegaishimasu. mizu o onegaishimasu. < suit it more than kudasai. x3 but you can say naifu o kudasai << not onegaishimasu..its about how you feel.. a little complicated lol.. }

Of course you can say コーヒーください or (お)みずください Its a valid expression.

In a restaurant its a completely normal way to ask for something.

Because ください means "could you please give me". It is completely appropriate to the situation. As the customer, you don't need to be overly obsequious. I'm not saying お願いします is obsequious, at least not in this scenario. It is fine. But kudasai is also fine.
Thanks

{ suit both of them kudasai and onegaishimasu , but you can't use both of them too for example when you order , > Koohi o onegaishimasu. mizu o onegaishimasu. < suit it more than kudasai. x3 but you can say naifu o kudasai << not onegaishimasu..its about how you feel.. a little complicated lol.. }
Thanks for the reply. Seems I just need to listen to more conversation to understand where to use which :)

Of course you can say コーヒーください or (お)みずください Its a valid expression.

In a restaurant its a completely normal way to ask for something.
Thank you very much, I'm sure this'll help in the future :)

If you want to stand out more you could also say メニューちょうだいよ or メニューくれ or even メニューみたいのじゃん。

Thanks for the reply. Seems I just need to listen to more conversation to understand where to use which :)

Her post gives a strong impression that she has no idea what the difference is between the two and, like you and practically everybody else did at one point in their studies, knows and thinks of them both simply as translating to "please" in English.

You need to know what they derive from before you'll be able to understand the difference and keep them straight in your head.

くだす

ねがう

There is such a thing as digging too deep. LOL.

下す(P); 降す 【くだす】 (v5s,vt) (1) to make a decision; to draw a conclusion; (2) to judge; to hand down a verdict; to pass sentence; (3) to let go down; to lower; (4) (See 手を下す・1) to do oneself; to do by oneself; (5) to beat; to defeat; (6) to have loose bowels; to have diarrhea; to pass excrement;

I always thought くださる was the root of ください。

Yes, your initial interpretation is correct.
past
○下さった
×下した

negative
○下さらない
×下さない

polite request
○下さいませ (i-euphonic change of 下さりませ)
×下しませ

メニューみたいのじゃん
Sorry for nitpicking, but じゃん works as a male/dialect version of a sentence final particle じゃない for a strong assertion, so it means "it seems something like a menu" in that case. Probably you meant メニュー見たいのじゃ; an old people's dialect of メニューが見たいんだ?

Sorry for nitpicking, but じゃん works as a male/dialect version of a sentence final particle じゃない for a strong assertion, so it means "it seems something like a menu" in that case. Probably you meant メニュー見たいのじゃ; an old people's dialect of メニューが見たいんだ?
Something like that. Actually I meant to say メニュー見たいのじゃん. My examples were not to be taken seriously. (But he would still be understood if he used them. 笑)

Her post gives a strong impression that she has no idea what the difference is between the two and, like you and practically everybody else did at one point in their studies, knows and thinks of them both simply as translating to "please" in English.

You need to know what they derive from before you'll be able to understand the difference and keep them straight in your head.

くだす

ねがう
Thanks Mike. That is something I have not heard before, thanks :)

There is such a thing as digging too deep. LOL.

下す(P); 降す 【くだす】 (v5s,vt) (1) to make a decision; to draw a conclusion; (2) to judge; to hand down a verdict; to pass sentence; (3) to let go down; to lower; (4) (See 手を下す・1) to do oneself; to do by oneself; (5) to beat; to defeat; (6) to have loose bowels; to have diarrhea; to pass excrement;

Okay now I don't know who to listen to, you or Mike

Okay why do all my posts always create lengthy conversations...
Is it just my posts or most posts on Jref?

Back
Top Bottom