What's new

Is this Japanese?

andycapp

後輩
18 Feb 2012
Hello everyone,
I have a little ancient statue of Buddha, and below the base there are some characters written in a language I do not understand.
can anyone tell me if it is Japanese, Chinese or something else? and of course the meaning of the words?
Thanks to everyone for helping me.
Andy

Attachments

• scritta.jpg
    scritta.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 129
  • scritta2.jpg
    scritta2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 131
I can tell you that

二 = Two
石 = Stone

But because they are both written in kanji it could be Japanese or Chinese. Sorry but I have no idea what the last one could be >< カロ/力口/加 ???

I can also read 「石」, and 「加(= plus)」
but in other shapes, I can't judge if they are only scratch or character
Mmm... it's hard to decide where this statue from, may be japanese, chinese or korean
Can you show me its whole appearance?

The 加 conceivably could have been a part of 釈迦, the kanji rendition of the name of the historical Buddha, Sakyamuni (Siddhartha).

The picture on the right is right-side-up, andycapp. Refer to that one in the future.

It looks to me like a lot of the symbols may have worn off. To the right of カ口 looks like a symbol for mountain (yama, 山), and maybe 2 symbols to the left of カ口 might be a very worn 山 with the left vertical line nearly rubbed off.

What looks like 石 could also be a poorly done 仏 (Buddha), although I admit it looks a heck of a lot more like 石.

I believe that the first two characters on the top are 山下. The next bit could be 加山, perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom