What's new

Is this correct?

rhadmb

Registered
19 Nov 2019
I am studying japanese for a months now but still a beginner.
Can someone help me please.
I dont know if I say this in japanese correctly.

"先週金曜日に社長様にごうちそうになってありがとうございます."

"Thank you for the treat last Friday Mr President."

Thanks in advance..

typo: ごちそう, not ごちそう

先週金曜日に is not wrong, but I would use 先日は unless there is a specific reason to identify the exact date.

社長様に in unnecessary since it's obvious that you are referring to the addressee. It's common to avoid referring to "you" in Japanese. Also note that 社長様 sounds odd when you are talking directly to them.

ごちそうになってありがとうございます is not grammatically wrong, but ごちそうになり is more preferable since -masu stem sounds more formal, and therefore it's more appropriate for your situation. -Te form is acceptable when you use polite forms, i.e., ごちそうになりまして. If you've already learned honorific expressions, ごちそうしていただきまして is the best.

ありがとうございます is not wrong, but the past form sounds more natural.

In conclusion, I would say;
先日は(おいしいお食事を)ご馳走していただきまして、ありがとうございました。

I may have mentioned this before, but a "typo" (short for "typographical error") is when someone knows the correct way to write something, but accidentally hits the wrong key and so it appears incorrectly.

ごうちそう is simply a "mistake" or an "error".

(Recently, some native English speakers who misunderstand the meaning of "typo" have begun using the term with the meaning of "error", and for that reason some dictionaries are starting to recognize that as an alternate meaning of the word, but that usage is non-standard.)

先週金曜日に is not wrong, but I would use 先日は unless there is a specific reason to identify the exact date.

社長様に in unnecessary since it's obvious that you are referring to the addressee. It's common to avoid referring to "you" in Japanese. Also note that 社長様 sounds odd when you are talking directly to them.

ごちそうになってありがとうございます is not grammatically wrong, but ごちそうになり is more preferable since -masu stem sounds more formal, and therefore it's more appropriate for your situation. -Te form is acceptable when you use polite forms, i.e., ごちそうになりまして. If you've already learned honorific expressions, ごちそうしていただきまして is the best.

ありがとうございます is not wrong, but the past form sounds more natural.

In conclusion, I would say;
先日は(おいしいお食事を)ご馳走していただきまして、ありがとうございました。

Thanks for the help. I learned new today.

I may have mentioned this before, but a "typo" (short for "typographical error") is when someone knows the correct way to write something, but accidentally hits the wrong key and so it appears incorrectly.

(Recently, some native English speakers who misunderstand the meaning of "typo" have begun using the term with the meaning of "error", and for that reason some dictionaries are starting to recognize that as an alternate meaning of the word, but that usage is non-standard.)
I thought the OP had simply mis-typed, but thanks for explanation.

I thought the OP had simply mis-typed, but thanks for explanation.

It's pretty difficult to intend to type the letters G - O - C - H - I - S - O - U、but end up having your fingers accidentally hit the keys G - O - U - C - H - I - S - O - U.

Hii joadbres

I am familiar with tyops, sa I often make then.

However, I was surprised and interested by: dictionaries are starting to recognize that as an alternate meaning of the word

Did a quick google,

None of the above listed error as an alternative meaning- Are you referring to slang dictionaries? or other?

I am quite curious about this

Cjeers

I am familiar with tyops, sa I often make then.

However, I was surprised and interested by: dictionaries are starting to recognize that as an alternate meaning of the word

Did a quick google,

None of the above listed error as an alternative meaning- Are you referring to slang dictionaries? or other?

When you quoted me, you left off the word "some", which is an important word. "Some dictionaries", I wrote.

One is the Merriam-Webster Learner's Dictionary. Its definition of "typo" includes spelling errors.

Sorry for the miss quoted-not my intention because when I quoted your text I quoted the whole text - and then when I copied and pasted "some" got eliminated accidentally – kind of a typo. Or a quoto

But in any Case, in my mind I was replying to "some dictionaries" which is why I look at three authoritative" dictionaries (and not learner dictionaries).

It never occurred to me to look at learners dictionaries – so the next logical jump in my mind was slang dictionary -

But to my dismay, you are correct and I think that is horrid – I think we agree on that.
Anyway thank you very much for you reply

cheers

Back
Top Bottom