What's new

Is ぞい archaic?

cloa513

Sempai
28 May 2016
Jisho.org and another online dictionary both say so but a set of child safety questions use it as a sentence ending. Strange for something of olden times. It means Don't you?

自分から道路にでてしまうこともあるぞい The last phrase of the sentence.

I've never heard it used in conversation. Or, if it was used around me, I never picked up on it. Feels like a speech pattern that is now out-of-use.

It seems also to me that the question was said by a character or something. It must be used as a role language(役割語) there, such like じゃ by old people or ってばよ by Naruto. Actually, I've heard a character used ぞい in the anime One Piece.

The whole booklet is うんここ打つ安全ドリル How does the Unko master mean that it still alllowed to considered archaic?

The whole booklet is うんここ打つ安全ドリル How does the Unko master mean that it still alllowed to considered archaic?
It's うんこ交通安全ドリル. It would be a lot easier if you posted a picture of what you were talking about in the first place.
Anyway it seems it's the character's speech pattern like we thought. As to how and why these artistic choices were made, you'd have to ask the author.
I mean, really, what is a poop sensei supposed to sound like?

1699973262575.png

As an aside, this whole discussion reminds me of good ol' Scooby Doo.

Surely the answer is uncommonly used language not something from ancient times which is no longer used hence the online English-Japanese dictionaries got it wrong.

The dictionaries are not wrong. As Majestic-san said, ぞい is never used in real conversations at all. It works as a role language there, as I already pointed out. It's used to show that the speaker/Unko master is an old man. You might not realize this, but じゃ at the end of other sentences also has the same function, i.e., じゃ is also a role language, as in my previous post. It's not used in real conversations, either, and only used in fictions (novels, manga, anime, etc...), as in Jisho.org..
じゃ is still used in some dialects. Jisho.org also explains it correctly.

じゃ
Copula
1. be; is
See also だ, western Japanese; also freq. used in animation and foreign-language dubbing to indicate a person is old

Back
Top Bottom