What's new

I'll bet you'd be glad to be born Japanese.

Sometimes, Frank, you really scare me.
I prefer something a bit more quite. Can't hear arrows, plus a bullet proof vest can stop a bullet. Put the correct head on an arrow and you might as well be wearing a coat of butter.

I don't see Japan in these stats. I cannot trust these stats, because gun laws are very strict in most of Europe, and except for hunters, soldiers or policemen, virtually nobody has one.
Those statistics were for handgun ownership, and private handgun ownership is essentially illegal in Japan, so handguns per household in Japan would be near 0.

from http://www.ryerson.ca/SAFER-Net/regions/Asia/Jap_SR01.html
---------------
Percentage of Households with Firearms: with at least one firearm: 0.57 ; estimated number of licensed firearm owners: 239,380

Types of Legal Firearms: Approximately 365,040 shotguns, 37,518 hunting rifles, 85 handguns

The possession of handguns is totally banned with extremely rare exceptions. Sport-shooting athletes can obtain licenses to possess handguns. However, the number of individuals with these licenses may not exceed fifty at any given time. At the end of 1996, there were eighty-five licensed handguns in Japan

Approximately 1500 handguns are seized every year from criminal gangs.
---------------------

The list on this page to a large extent corroborates the one I posted before (http://timlambert.org/1992/05/international-00013/)

For a few countries on that list (hand gun%, all gun%)
USA 29, 48.9
Canada 4, 30.8
Australia 2, 20.1
Belgium 6, 16.8
Switzerland 14, 32.6
France 5.5, 24.7

It seems you are simply mistaken about gun ownership in Belgium.
All of the countries on the list beat Japan's 0.57% by a lot.

Last edited:
But why don't they allow the private possession of guns in Japan? Are they afraid of criminals or what?
Of course, the existance of private guns in a country would arise illegalities.
In my opinion, it is a good thing, it makes Japan a safer place.

Actually, im quite happy being born as a singaporean..the education system is so-so , but i h8 the fact that, in my country, you wont get famous like how J-actors/actress are ..cuz barely any1 watches Singapore-dramas >.<..
and usually those sucessful musicians, are mostly chinese who goes to taiwan to become more "famous" -.- ..unlike Japan..The thing i like most about japan is that u get to have more facilities in school..in singapore onli elite schools,autonomous , private schools get to have special facilities like tennis courts,pool,etc; etc; -.-

Holy Crap. When I make threads I'm quite happy to sit back and see which direction they go but this one went clean over the rainbow.

I have always wished to be born Japanese. It is just something I like. Individual points can look bad on their own, but all together it creates a better country than Britain is, and I like it...

Anyone else think like me?

:)

I have always wished to be born Japanese. It is just something I like. Individual points can look bad on their own, but all together it creates a better country than Britain is, and I like it...
Anyone else think like me?
:)

Maybe you should actually go there first, before making that kind of opinions.

I've been twice already. I always liked it. Then I went. That increased my love for it. 👍

How long did you stay? Most foreigners I have met can take Japan for about 2 years. The few that stay longer and say they actually enjoy Japan either come from 3rd world countries and have nothing to go back to, or they finally do leave and later tell me that they will never come back. Even a few friends who "loved" Japan culture prior to coming here, don't look forward to coming back after their 3rd or 4th visit.

I recently asked a Japanese friend what he liked about Japan. This guy seemed different to me, maybe a little International, and he really didn't fit in with other Japanese all that well.

He gave me two answers.
The 4 seasons.
The mountains.

I really wonder what Japanese people do when they are on Vacation, it is almost like they never leave the airport.
Kilt.

I hope this does not sound disrepectful.

1 Delicious food 1,085
One usually likes their home cuisine best.

2 The passage through the four seasons 664
I have never heard about this until i got to jref.
Japanese friends and teachers never mentioned that "Japanese people
tend to think this about their country". Ever. Do people really think
this is unique to Japan? Seriously? Maybe they've only visited
the equator regions outside of Japan?

3 Peace 636
see Patlabor 2 (but i've always applied it to the US)
!!!!

6 Hot springs 121
Make me a GMO if I get the hot springs!

7 The good Japanese national character 91
Craftsman: "The what?"
me (total chump) I 2nd that. huh?
Actually I think that concept is unique to Japan,
which might explain #8.

8 Characteristic culture 72
Craftsman: "Eh?"
me (total chump) Yeah. I don't really know what that means either.
Seriously. I admit ignorance.

9 Can speak Japanese 69
Haha. That's awesome. (No, not the 69)

10= Free country 55
Craftsman: "I thought there was an entrance fee."
me (total chump): Hey, didn't they end the airport fee
at Narita after it was paid for. If it was the states they'd
just keep the fee and use the funds for something else.

10= Bountiful natural landscape 55
Lot's of places have that. Places like Afghanistan probably have a lot more,
i.e. less cities.

What I found interesting in the poll concerns the answer "(Japan is) a free country" (ナスツゥ窶燃窶堙按坂?倪?堙??堋?窶堙ゥ窶堋ア窶堙?

- Overall for the men it came in tenth place

- Overall for the women it failed to place in the top ten

- Only men in their 40's, 50's, and 60's listed "a free country". Those in their 20's and 30's failed to mention it in their top ten

- Only women in their 50's listed it and it came in ninth place. With all other ages it failed to place. This is interesting because it was shortly before these women were born that equality was granted to all women.

I find it interesting among the younger generation of Japan (or any country for that matter) how their freedom is taken for granted with no thought to the past and how difficult it was for them to gain that freedom. To me, living in a free country should be first on anyone's top ten list.

Just an observation. 🙂

Depends on your sources. It can also be "Jerusalem". As they are all unofficial anthem, I don't see why there should only be one.
You're correct, there's no official anthem for England. But it's most definitely not Rule Brittania (Britain rules the waves!)

At the Commonwealth Games, Land of Hope and Glory is used. However, the most popular choice seems to be Jerusalem. Jupiter is also a contender, although since it became a huge hit in Japan, a quick survey of some of my Japanese friends revealed that they all thought it was a Japanese tune :eek: They also thought Auld Lang Syne (played in Japanese shops at closing time) and the Big Ben chimes (played just about everywhere) were Japanese. Actually the version of the Big Ben chimes heard in Japan is a typically inaccurate copy- the first note is wrong.

I agree less guns, more peaceful. Japan is great on this one... respect.
Not necessarily. Less guns only mean less lethal crimes. Instead of a gun people could use, for example, knives. The number of guns doesn't affect how peaceful a society is.

Back
Top Bottom