What's new

I need some translation help again...

Johnathan

先輩
25 Apr 2003
It seems like the Japanese are revising the keigo into 5 types from the previous 3. I don't really see the whole need for doing this except to make things maybe more confusing for the beginner? Afterall this is a country that is obsessed at the thinking that its language is the toughest in the world. What do you think about this article?

敬語5分類へ 文化審小委 「お料理」「御祝儀」美化語

敬語の見直しについて検討していた文化審議会国語分科会の敬語小委員会は2日、「尊敬」「謙譲」「丁寧」の3つに分類されている敬語を5分類に改める指針案をまとめ、了承した。新たに謙譲語を2分類し、「お料理」など上品さを表すための言葉を「美化語」として丁寧語と区別した。

敬語の性質を厳密に分類することで、誤用や混乱を防ぐのが狙い。

指針案では、「お酒」「お料理」など聞き手に上品な印象を与える表現を「美化語」として独立した敬語の種類とした。これまでは「です」「ます」などを文末につけることで丁寧さを添える「丁寧語」の一種とされてきた。

ただし、「お導き」「お名前」などの「お」はこれまで通り尊敬語、「お手紙」の「お」も「先生からお手紙をいただく」なら尊敬語、「先生にお手紙を出す」なら謙譲語となる。

また、謙譲語も(1)「申し上げる」「お目にかかる」など自分がへりくだることで動作の対象となる相手への敬意を表す「謙譲語I」(2)「私は海外に参ります」の「参る」や「いたす」「小社」のように自分の動作などを丁重に表現する「謙譲語II(丁重語)」―と2分類した。

敬語小委はこの案に修正を加え、親部会である国語分科会総会に報告。来年2月に文化審議会から答申される。

headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20061003-00000009-san-soci

I'll take a shot-

doki(n) doki(n) and puru puru are both onomatopoeic expressions. Doki doki is the sound your heart makes in an anxiety-producing situation (waku waku is more for excited) as in before the test I was doki doki vs. when / before she kissed me I was waku waku. This is not a hard and fast rule though. Depending on the rest of the context of the song (happy or worried to meet this person) you can get the better translation.

If J-pop had the wit to use Buddhist terms as lyrics I would really, really be amazed. As in wet-myself-amazed. Your idea though was very interesting. But who can fathom the depth of J-pop minds, eh? If it is the song I think you are thinking of, I think it is simply a musical device like la la, hum hum, da da etc. Why rai rai? Who knows.

I like the "god is heartbroken" one better.

Puru puru is the sound jelly or firmly soft things make. You youthful cheeks can be puru puru, as can jelly and your rear-end. Jelly-like universe is time-machine jelly. See my missive on J-pop logic above.

Cheers-M

Actually, I've heard the term doki-doki. I never even thought of it though, because she says "dokkin", and it spells it that way in the lyric book, so I know I'm not misunderstanding. Why would they add the ニ停? sound to the end of it? How's that make it different?

I originally thought that it was simply meaningless-singing (i.e., la-la-laa) on the lai-lai-lai part. But I'm still convinced the "come-come-come" translation is right.
---
kinou ni bye-bye-bye (go-ha-n)
fu-shi-gi (ip-pa-i)
chikara wo komete (okawari OK)
kochira he rai-rai-rai
-
to yesterday, bye-bye-bye (have a meal)
won-der-ful (full of it)
I'm saving up this power (a second helping's okay)
to here, come-come-come
---
(The song is heavily about food, if you hadn't guessed.) But just singing lai-lai-lai like that would have no meaning in the song. I don't think that'd be coincidence. And it makes sense. "To yesterday, bye. To here, come." I don't think that'd be a coincidence, either. Maybe they're saying it in a non-Buddhist way? What do I know...

Back
Top Bottom