What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

I keep lots of Japanese books...

Muz1234

Sempai
Reaction score
What should I do with them? It would take days, months to read all the books...

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
There's a word for this in Japanese: Tsundoku

I would ask what do you want to do with them? Some people collect just to have things, others collect because they want to use the thing. If your goal is to read them, I suggest putting aside an hour a day to read and work toward that goal. As a helpful motivator you can set aside a shelf for the books you've finished, so you can see your progress.

If you just like having them, that's fine too... But if you want to put them to use but know you won't read them yourself, you can offer them for sale, or loan them out, or give them away so other people can have a chance to read them.

Muz1234

Sempai
Reaction score
Have you ever regret giving out books to others before have a chance to read them?

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
Have you ever regret giving out books to others before have a chance to read them?
The question is, ARE you going to read them? If you are, then start reading! The faster you finish the less reason you have to hold onto it. Set a timer and start right now.

If you know you'll never get to it, I've never regretted giving away something that I wasn't going to use to someone who was excited about receiving that gift.

Jezinn

Kouhai
Contributor
Reaction score
What should I do with them? It would take days, months to read all the books...
This dilemma is why I would recommend going with software, e-books, and/or audio books. Depending on your computer and software setup, e-books can be read out loud, like audio books. A lot of books also have an e-book version that you can download (after buying). Software also has the added advantage of quizzes and other multimedia extras. It is 2021, so arguably a good time to embrace technology.

Software and e-books also don't get dirty (or invaded by insects), are not heavy, saves on cutting down trees, and are easier to move from location to location. Not so fun to have a 50 book collection, and moving to a new location or finding out that you just don't have room for all of them.

As for the books that you have now, if you haven't read them and can't get e-book versions of them, probably best that you mark time on your calendar to at least read them. If you are not that interested, then give them away to people that are. There are always the nostalgic or old-fashioned types that would appreciate it.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
I like the idea of setting a give-away date; if by that time you haven't even started reading it, offer it up for someone else. If you're in the middle you can push back the date once, so you get one more chance to finish it by your deadline. If that doesn't motivate you to finish the book, then you probably weren't that interested to begin with.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
There are always the nostalgic or old-fashioned types that would appreciate it.

Wow, this is the first time I feel old because I own (and love) books. :oops:

I prefer holding a book in my hands to reading from a screen. I spend most of the day in front of screens. I love the sensory sensation of smelling a decade-old tome with yellowed pages and touching its leather binding. One man's dirt is another man's testimony to days gone by. :)

Cf. vellichor

... saves on cutting down trees.

I fully agree here.

Top Bottom