What's new

How to use a Japanese style toilet.

mikecash said:
I got quite a surprise today while walking through Sekichu, a local hardware, do-it-yourself, and general household goods chain in my area. I walked past a row of commodes on display and just as I passed one.....it saluted me!

Geez, that reminds me of that old Andy Griffith movie, No Time For Sergeants. He had to clean the latrine and when the sergeants came to inspect, Griffith hit a device that made the seats stand up at attention! Hilarious!

Luckily, I always managed to find a western-style toilet in my trips to Japan.

Actually this is probably the only time I have a proper segue into this question. In Japan do you flush toilet paper? In the first pic posted it looks like you might not, and there are wastepaper baskets for it. I know when I took a trip to Greece, in many of the places we went they did not flush the used paper, and a friend who is in Bangladesh has told me that they don't flush it there either. Just curious, it's these kind of questions that you never think of asking until you arrive somewhere and are in for a suprise.

<HINT Size="Very Big">
The wastebaskets tend to be in either the ladies' toilet or toilets intended for use by both men and women...but not in men's toilets.
</HINT>

~bump~

I am rather surprise that in that the Japanese public toilets are squat ones.

Growing up in Australia, the Aussies have long complaint about their trip to South East Asia or China where the public toilets are squat kinds and how that has annoyed the. Considering Japan is a first world country I always thought their public toilets are sit ones. ☝

Its not so much a matter of being a first or second world country... just for convenience etc.
At first I hated them, and I found that it was easier to balance when using heels... or putting my hand on the wall behind me. Hahha, its a bit tough when drunk and wobbling around at the best of times!

Travelling through SE asia with a bacterial parasite as my travelling companion, I soon got used to the squat loo.

I am a big big fan of the heated toilets in Japan! We have them in Korea too.
In NZ my boss (Japanese) had one in her home.
On my last trip to Japan I got really sick as soon as I arrived with the flu. Staying at my friends house in the countryside with that heated toilet was lovely, as was the 24 hour hot bathtub. I love how the baths go right to your chin! And no waiting for the tub to fill, or worrying about it going cold 30 mins later.
Off topic...

Anyway I didnt come across too many squat loos in Japan.

Originally Posted by Brooker
The squat toilets are mostly only in public places. The Japanese like them because you don't touch them and that seems more sanitary.
Yes, Brooker san is right and most of the Japanese homes have western style toilets, and we have the high-tech toilet bowl with the heater and the shower at my house.

-Rudel- said:
LOL. Brooker I know the feeling. :p Here is me and my fiance's toilet.

Personally I'm afraid when a toilet has more than one choice as to its operations i.e. I prefer when you have the choice between a lever or a button, that's it.

Mike Cash said:
I just sort of drag my hands across the carpet.

ROFL!!! :LOL: :LOL: I'm sure that you rent a rug doctor often...

There was times I needed a #2 and was nout but a Japanese style loo so I just held it in and suffered in noble silence until a real toilet presented itself, I live by the motto that if the public loo is just rank disgusting, I can stand and pee, and at least I dont need to worry about peeing.

And heated toilet seats are a godsend, I had to sit my delicate arse on a cold wooden toilet seat for years, and only recently did I aquire a soft comfy one, it seems to warm to body-temprature as skin makes contact.

On another note its an interesting point worth dwelling on about the fact this forum out of all the varied forums I've been on seems the most open to topics such as sex and the finer points of toilets.

I'm writing up a hypothesis on it titled "J-ref through my observations is a little bit odd". 👍

Funny how suddenly this thread sprung up again. Only last night a friend and I were discussing Japanese toilets (he used to live in Japan for a couple of years). He mentioned that he used to take off his pants before using a Japanese "loo" (always liked that word) when he had to "take a dump" out of fear that something would land inside his pants.

I never do #2 in a public toilet. I can't remember the last time I've ever done it due to that reason I don't want to touch the toilet. I think I would prefer the squat toilet in this case. ☝
Keiichi
😊
That's what the toilet paper barrier is for. If the restroom doesn't have the paper toilet seat covers in it (which suck anyways, i don't use them even if they are in there), you just wipe off the seat with TP, then put one TP strip on the right side, one on the left, one on the back, and then sit.
Knowing how much guys like us always piss all over the toilet seat, I always use the TP barrier.

Also, the place where I live here also has heated toilet seats, but that isn't what suprised me. The one thing that suprised me is the "artificial flushing sound" control on the toilet. As in, when you push the button (it has a music note on it), the toilet plays a flushing sound without it actually flushing. It has volume control too, lol. I guess it's to mask embarrasing noises or something?

I love those high-end japanese toilets with the heated seat...But I especially like that mini hose-down bidet thing that shoots right into the dark reaches. (Of course I'm careful not to like that sensation too much)
😏

That's what the toilet paper barrier is for. If the restroom doesn't have the paper toilet seat covers in it (which suck anyways, i don't use them even if they are in there), you just wipe off the seat with TP, then put one TP strip on the right side, one on the left, one on the back, and then sit.
Knowing how much guys like us always piss all over the toilet seat, I always use the TP barrier.

Here's a disheartening little experiment for you:

Tear off a panel of toilet paper and hold it up to the light. Now try to convince yourself that it is a "barrier" to anything.

OMFGBBQWTHROFLMAO Those toilets look like rides. 👍 :giggle: :LOL: :D :p 😌 Okay okay. So I have a question. If the toilet system looks that way, what do the sinks and showers look like?

Here's a disheartening little experiment for you:
Tear off a panel of toilet paper and hold it up to the light. Now try to convince yourself that it is a "barrier" to anything.

No no no!! This is better, hold up a piece of toilet paper, then have someone shoot one paintball bullet at the toilet paper and if it breaks, then you might want to see how your force field thingy is going for ya.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom