What's new

How to say “I want to …” in Japanese行きたい

JapaneseLily

後輩
13 Nov 2021

Learn how to express what you want to do, or what you don't want to do in Japanese. Also, let's see how to use this useful phrase in different forms: in present form, as a negation, and many more.
In Japanese, we conjugate this expression exactly the same as i-adjective (いけいようし). So the example with the verb "I want to go" would be: 行きたい,行きたくない,行きたかった and 行きたくなかった.
You will find a quiz to test your listening skills at the end of this video.
Listen to the dictation as many times as you need and then, answer them depends on your case.
The script or answers of the dictation is in the very bottom of this explanation place, just in case you need it. But I hope you can do it without seeing it.

Good overview of this form, I'm guessing you cover 欲しがる/〜たがる in another video?

One thing I've kind of internalized but never bothered to run by a Japanese teacher is that since 〜たい gets conjugated like an i-adjective, I kind of think of it more like an adjective expressing that the object of the verb (or the action itself) is "desired," which is partly why you can use が to mark the direct object.

Good overview of this form, I'm guessing you cover 欲しがる/〜たがる in another video?

One thing I've kind of internalized but never bothered to run by a Japanese teacher is that since 〜たい gets conjugated like an i-adjective, I kind of think of it more like an adjective expressing that the object of the verb (or the action itself) is "desired," which is partly why you can use が to mark the direct object.
Thank you very much for your nice message. Of course I will cover this important Japanese Grammar ほしがる、ほしたがる in future videos. I follow the order of Minnna no NIhongo to explain from basic level to upper level gradually so that students won't get easily confused. But surely I will do.
I'm glad that you noticed the way I explained, conjugating like i adjective because I'm sure it make much easier to undertand how to use this form. The use of が here is exactly how you say. In my video I explain it for JLPT N5 level yet so the students must know (in this level) the use of が in the sentences like が好きです。が嫌いです。が上手です。が下手です。が苦手です。が欲しいです。が.(を)したいです。...so on. But in the future I will explain about ENFASIS , then the particle can be changed. Well, I'm going to explain all gradually but with detail en each level. Thank you very much for your comment. I really appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom