What's new

How to balance between social and gaming?

I got my first home computer in 1982 and have always had a computer in my house since then. Yet I have never played any games. For some reason , they just never interested me. Some people get really hooked on them. A woman I worked with had a teenaged son who was obsessed with gaming. He would stay up all night playing games and then refuse to go to school. When the mother said she would throw his computer out , he said he would kill her. I guess on some games , you pay money to get ahead and that always seemed crazy to me. Before I retired , I used to limit myself to one or two hours at night on my computer and no more. Now that I'm retired , I spend 8 to 10 hours a day on my computer for something to do. It makes me fat and lazy , LOL.

Last edited:
For me it is how do you balance work vs family maybe squeezing in some social. games are not a factor. I have been messing with computers since the end of the 70s 78 or 79 but was not a heavy gamer except for a year or two on MUDs in my early internet days (late 80s early 90s). I don't have the time to sink into games, too much to do. many people invest a lot of time in it and OK enjoy. much like watching TV or whatever just entertainment time.

Do you get sometimes compulsive to finish any game that you once finished earlier but the savegames are all gone?

Do you get sometimes compulsive to finish any game that you once finished earlier but the savegames are all gone?
I don't think you'll get much empathy here since there don't seem to be too many compulsive gamers here.
I've played games off and on throughout the years but mostly off. However over a year ago I got into Fortnite to play with my sons. It's incredible to me that you can have a real-time networked game like that where you can play with dozens of players around the world in shooting battles without any problem.
As Fortnite is played in simple matches, not quests that take a long time, I don't have this particular problem.

I play games in spurts. I might play for 10-15 hours in a week, then won't play at all for a few weeks. I don't have any trouble where I give up any social life over it. Rather, I don't watch TV when I'm playing a lot.

My attention span for them has changed a lot too. When I was young, I could play six or seven hours in a day, but now, I usually get bored after an hour or two.

What about women? Do women care if you play games non-stop?
If you mean women that you have a relationship with then yes they would probably care. Because playing games "non-stop" implies that you are not handling your life and relationship responsibilities. If you were, you wouldn't have time to play games non-stop.

I love those games that their characters and scenes seem real or are mixed with some interesting imaginary things and scenes, the games give me a real sense of being in a real environment and dealing with a series of real characters and things.

For example, when I'm a pilot and am flying with a plane I wish the plane, all its equipment and systems, its behaviors in the air, and other things to be real. I hate the games that have been made by some inexperienced game makers. Of course, the story and events of the game are important as well.

I hate war but love the war games that have been made professionally and with the real action and behavior of weapons and military equipment. In my ideal war games, a gun should have a real shape and shoots like a real gun with the same speed of bullet and sound. In the game, the type of an explosion, its fire, smoke, clouds of dust, destruction, and sound should be real. The moving, running, and behavior of the characters in the game should be according to the real persons.

I have played a lot of such professional games. Those war games don't affect me and my kindness to others, I just play for entertainment.

One of the games that are on my system for years and I still play occasionally is the game' "pacific fighter". It has been made in 2006 but I have never seen a game similar to that with the various real planes models, tools, equipment, and behaviors in the air. Sadly I have lost its CD. The game needs to be reinstall because of a failure in 360 turnings. The pointer of widows appears on the screen and prevents me to turn back my sight 360 degrees and see the planes that are behind my plane and are shooting toward me. I looked for the game in the markets but nobody knew that. It is a nice game that simulates the old warplanes and dogfights as the best. Their machine guns shoot like a real plane gun with the same real sound. The planes behave like real planes at various speeds turning, landing, taking off, and so on. Although I have never been a pilot now know how to fly with a single-engine aircraft after the years of playing this game!

These are some screenshots that I got from the game scenes.

wzf8_scene_1.jpg

jg67_s_2.jpg

152z_s_3.jpg

lz5l_s7.jpg

hqf9_s9.jpg

However. good games can bring enjoyment for nowadays players but sadly some bad and exciting games can affect teenagers in the society.

I've been a huge gamer ever since I was a kid. Some of my earliest memories are of playing Atari VCS games with my older cousin. There are certain games I have no problem putting hundreds of hours into, though it will take me a few months to do so (most recently Metal Gear Solid V and Xcom 2). I'd say it's hard to measure how much it has affected my social life, since if I weren't gaming, I'm sure most of that time would have been spent watching movies or reading books or some other solitary activity instead.

I did mobile phone gaming quite a bit, back when you could just buy a complete game like you can for consoles and computers rather than downloading a free game which then begs you for money for "gems" or whatnot. Now I hardly play mobile gaming at all. I sincerely hope that sort of monetization doesn't take over console and computer gaming completely - I know it has already ruined the most popular sports games.

Back
Top Bottom