What's new

Question How much luggage do you bring?

sora46

後輩
15 Jan 2020
Within this month I am going to Japan for study at least for 3 years. I consider to bringing some luggages 24 inch (2); 20 inch (1); backpack (1) and I'll avoid using public transportation. Is it normal for you to bringing that's many?. Three years ago I went to Japan for 3 months study and I brought 24 inch (1); 20 inch (1); backpack (1) and I felt that was not enough. Thanks.

Within this month I am going to Japan for study at least for 3 years. I consider to bringing some luggages 24 inch (2); 20 inch (1); backpack (1) and I'll avoid using public transportation. Is it normal for you to bringing that's many?. Three years ago I went to Japan for 3 months study and I brought 24 inch (1); 20 inch (1); backpack (1) and I felt that was not enough. Thanks.
Last week I saw off a friend from Narita airport. He was going back to Italy for a year and had 45kg of luggage with a ticket that allowed him 30kg. The airline - Qatar - were being very strict with luggage and they wanted 50000 yen for the extra weight and I ended taking a lot of his stuff home. I imagine other airlines are behaving similarly as their revenues have collapsed because of Covid-19. I would seriously think about what you need to take and what you can easily buy in Japan.

How are you going to avoid public transportation? Will somebody pick you up?
I would pack up to the full limit of what's allowed by the airline. Just do some research on what items make sense to bring with you and those that are available in Japan.
If you don't want to bring so many suitcases, you can also pack some items in a large box that you can dispose of after you have arrived and unpacked. Or a large duffel bag which is easier to store than a suitcase.

Last week I saw off a friend from Narita airport. He was going back to Italy for a year and had 45kg of luggage with a ticket that allowed him 30kg. The airline - Qatar - were being very strict with luggage and they wanted 50000 yen for the extra weight and I ended taking a lot of his stuff home. I imagine other airlines are behaving similarly as their revenues have collapsed because of Covid-19. I would seriously think about what you need to take and what you can easily buy in Japa
Thanks for sharing. I found info on how many checked and carry-on baggage allowance in my flight (2x23kg checked baggage, total 10kg carry-on for 2 bags) so I have calculated and I think my luggage will not have extra weight. Also, thanks for your advice I will reconsider it.

How are you going to avoid public transportation? Will somebody pick you up?
I would pack up to the full limit of what's allowed by the airline. Just do some research on what items make sense to bring with you and those that are available in Japan.
If you don't want to bring so many suitcases, you can also pack some items in a large box that you can dispose of after you have arrived and unpacked. Or a large duffel bag which is easier to store than a suitcase.
Yes, an acquaintance will pick me up.
I did some research too about what items make sense to bring and also about baggage allowance in my flight, I consider to pack up to the maximum baggage allowance.
You're right I think it is a good idea, thanks for your advice I will reconsider it.

Back
Top Bottom