What's new

How many times do Japanese shower per day?

Muz1234

Sempai
13 Aug 2014
Japan is a clean country, if so, what about the people? How many times do they shower per day?

shower-frequency.png

It doesn't make sense that Japan would be on the low end. I wonder if they are properly counting ofuro uses.

Well I noticed I shower several times per day 3-5 times since getting here because the water pressure really speeds up the process.
Back in me olden country, I used to shower 1-2 times per day.
Water pressure is the benefit.

The data on Japan in the chart certainly does not match with what I had been led to believe. But that does not mean its wrong.

My impression was that most Japanese take a quick shower and then a bath every single evening. Any Japanese family I was close too that was the way. But my personal experience is not a statistic.

I can't help but feel the chart is wrong about Japan somehow. But I have nothing really solid. Its not like I haven't come across some Japanese that didn't seem to bathe much. I have.

My impression was that most Japanese take a quick shower and then a bath every single evening. Any Japanese family I was close too that was the way. But my personal experience is not a statistic.
Same here. For people I know well enough to know their bathroom habits, a daily shower/bath is as ritualistic as brushing their teeth.

I can't help but feel the chart is wrong about Japan somehow. But I have nothing really solid. Its not like I haven't come across some Japanese that didn't seem to bathe much. I have.
Sure we all have if we've walked around Shinjuku or Ueno Koen. :p

You mean the homeless I take it? Sure. Do you know where Sanya is kinda between kita and minami senjuu on the jouban there are day laborers there and some hanging out in parks that are not great either. Minami senjuu is improving quite a bit so perhaps that area will go away, I see a lot of very cheap accomidation aimed at foreigners in that area these days. We could also talk about the excellent quality of Japanese deorderant. For every friend or family member or person I have dated once a day was the minimum. My wife sometimes does 2 in a day and in really hot weather maybe even three. One does not enter the bed without bathing. Mostly the US is once a day not but I know of many more exceptions there, in the 1970s once a week was not uncommon in parts of the country. Even my father in law usually does two a day, he does morning exercise even at his age then takes a shower and always bathes before bed. They also wash their feet when they come home. This is only personal experience going back a couple decades so yes I have a hard time understanding how Japan bathes less than the US.

First Japanese are not especially clean, we might get that impression because they often wear mask and seem to fear germs that give them an image of being mysophobia, but the couples of times I have to Japanese home, I could not help but notice the amount of dust on things or grease in the kitchen, also hoarding is quite common either in a room, on a balcony or around the house.

But I would say generally they take one shower or bath once a day, never seen people that were taking multiple shower or bath per day, usually bath before bed, unless if you go to the onsen or if are especially dirty for some reason. (I think this is a bit the same as for other countries)

When we have been in Kansai area in August I usually need more than one a day. Its just miserably hot and humid. :/

Back
Top Bottom