What's new

How do 'you' study kanji?

njun

後輩
2 Aug 2010
Hi everyone! I'm njun and this is my first post here in jref. 😅
I have tried searching jref for this kind of thread but I didn't find one.
I would like to know how 'you' guys study Kanji. I would appreciate it if you posted a detailed study plan or a schedule if you have one. Even the craziest methods are welcome. I'm planning to borrow your study plans and see if they work for me.
Thanks in advance!^_^

Personally I work from my textbook, which has them in groups of 15 or 16.

First I look over them, looking at their primary meaning and readings, and over the small set of vocab presented for each kanji.

Then I look at the stroke order and run it over in my head several times (though for the most part, stroke order has gotten predictable for me, so I don't usually spend too much time on it), even writing it in the air with a pencil or my finger.

Then I take graph paper, and write the characters as I go over their stroke order, vertically down the right ride of the page.

Then I take a break.

The next day, I once again write the kanji down on paper (graph or plain, doesn't really matter for this step), then from memory try to write down the readings given for each kanji (my book usually only gives 1-3 or 4) next to the appropriate kanji.

When I get to the end, I check the readings and if I missed any I try to fill in the blanks from my newly jogged memory.

After that, I write the kanji out...again lol. And attempt to do the same thing I just did, but with the sample vocab that was provided. List all the ones I can remember, go and check once I've done it for all the kanji, and then keep filling in blanks.

Then I do the kanji worksheet from my workbook, it's short and has me write each kanji 9 times, and on the back, fill in the blanks in some sentences with appropriate words and phrases.

Then I do this again for about 3 more sets, spacing them out on the graph paper so that I can do the next step.

Write each kanji (about 64 kanji at this point) over and over again (about 14 times total on my graph paper).

Then I usually have at least a decent grasp of them. Not perfect, but at least I can recognize them fairly well and use some of them that stick better in my mind.

Last edited:
Personally I work from my textbook, which has them in groups of 15 or 16.
@Angel Valis san : Thanks for the detailed reply!:)
May I know the title of the textbook you're using?
By the way, using a graph paper looks like a very good idea so I'll definitely be using one from now on. Thanks for the idea. ^_^😅

The textbooks I use are:

Genki I: ISBN 4-7890-0963-7
Genki II: ISBN 4-7890-0982-3

There are also workbooks (I and II), an answer key for the workbooks (works for both workbooks), and audio CDs that are used for some of the exercises in the workbooks (and some of the dialogs from the textbooks are on the CDs as well).

Back
Top Bottom