What's new

Question How do I talk about my hobbies?

Maira.K

Registered
26 May 2021
I was trying to write a short introductory paragraph about myself when I got stuck on how to talk about my hobbies. What is the proper Japanese sentence structure to say "My hobbies are dancing and learning new skills?"
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Can you try to write it yourself, and then we can help correct it if needed?
Sure! "私の趣味はダンスと新しいスキルを学びました。"
I've been learning Japanese for the past 4 months so I'm still quite a beginner😅.
Thank you for your help.

私の趣味 is the subject of "to learn" in your sentence.

The structure should be "my hobby is dance, and I learned a new skill." (i.e., と is the problem).

What is your translation of the two sentences "my hobby is dance" and "I learned a new skill"?

What is your translation of the two sentences "my hobby is dance" and "I learned a new skill"?
"My hobby is dance" > "私の趣味はダンスです。"

"I learned a new skill" > "私は新しいスキルを学んだ。"
Are these correct?

Oh, and I think I accidentally originally wrote 'learned' instead of 'learning' too right?

Yes I think the past tense may have thrown Toritoribe-san off.
You are saying you have two hobbies: dancing, and learning new things, so

1. ダンス and
2. 新しいスキルを学ぶこと
or 新しい事を学習すること
or 新しいスキルを取得すること

Oh, I didn't notice your original English sentence in your initial post, and I interpreted "... and I learned a new (dance) skill (today/recently)" by 新しいスキルを学びました. So, スキル is not "dance skill"?

Yes I think the past tense may have thrown Toritoribe-san off.
You are saying you have two hobbies: dancing, and learning new things, so

1. ダンス and
2. 新しいスキルを学ぶこと
or 新しい事を学習すること
or 新しいスキルを取得すること
I see. Thank you :)

Oh, I didn't notice your original English sentence in your initial post, and I interpreted "... and I learned a new (dance) skill (today/recently)" by 新しいスキルを学びました. So, スキル is not "dance skill"?
No, it's not "dance skill". Sorry about the mix up. Will go and practice my tenses. Thank you so much for you help Toritoribe-san.

Back
Top Bottom