What's new

How big is basketball in Japan?

Azarashi

Kouhai
25 Oct 2014
So according to google search professional basketball isn't really popular because of poor advertisement or something like that. But I wonder how many people actually go play basketball on weekends for fun and is there some kind of small average Joes league where salary man compete for 100 yen cup you know stuff like that.

I don't have any numbers but I'm sure it's not very many people at all. Basketball courts exist at various fitness centers but it's a very niche thing. Out of all the sports you could think of, I'd bet it's near the bottom in terms of number of participants and popularity.

I don't have any numbers but I'm sure it's not very many people at all. Basketball courts exist at various fitness centers but it's a very niche thing. Out of all the sports you could think of, I'd bet it's near the bottom in terms of number of participants and popularity.
Ok thanks kinda sad though since basketball is only team sport I don't suck at. ^^

Well all you need is a handful of people to do it. So if you are going to Japan, it should be possible if you seek it out. It would be a good way to meet people and make some friends. Find a nearby basketball court and ask the people there what opportunities there are for you to participate.

For reference here is the NBL home page: NBL | NATIONAL BASKETBALL LEAGUE and BJ League: バスケットボール|プロリーグ|bjリーグ公式サイト
Thanks I didn't know that there is anything in English.
And yeah watching some of the games I feel like I could be crap professional player in that league. ^^

And yeah watching some of the games I feel like I could be crap professional player in that league. ^^
When I wrote that yesterday night it genuinely sounded like a joke.
I guess I shouldn't be making jokes when I'm tired.

Basketball is massively popular with young people. In schools, it's third after baseball and soccer, or possibly tied with soccer. I don't think the leagues will become popular until Japan has a break out star. Even soccer is mainly popular for the World Cup, and not the national league.

But, young people like it, and I've met a lot of kids who dream of seeing a live NBA game.

Basketball is massively popular with young people. In schools, it's third after baseball and soccer, or possibly tied with soccer. I don't think the leagues will become popular until Japan has a break out star. Even soccer is mainly popular for the World Cup, and not the national league.

But, young people like it, and I've met a lot of kids who dream of seeing a live NBA game.
Ok thanks this probably answered all I wanted to know about how popular basketball is in Japan.
But one last question considering that Japan is short country, at schools do they play on 330cm baskets or something smaller?

Ok thanks this probably answered all I wanted to know about how popular basketball is in Japan.
But one last question considering that Japan is short country, at schools do they play on 330cm baskets or something smaller?
That I can't say, I'm not much into basketball myself, but they look the same as what was in my high school.

It isn't popular at all outside of high school. There are teams and things, but they are not famous, very rarely on TV or advertised anywhere.

Japanese people generally like football (soccer), baseball, golf, tennis, sumo or athletics.

Back
Top Bottom