What's new

Hirohito diary, showing Pearl Harbor attack preparations, released

Buntaro

運動不足
27 Dec 2003
"Emperor Hirohito appeared to be preparing for war against the United States about two months before Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor, according to a diary that raises further questions about his wartime responsibilities.

"Even government ministers were at times worried that the emperor, who was distressed that war with the United States was inevitable, was getting ahead of them in terms of battle preparations, according to the diary penned by Saburo Hyakutake (1872-1963), the grand chamberlain for the emperor."

(cont.)

As posted here 👇;)

Is it true that the Japanese military leaders were mostly the ones who called the shots though? I kind of feel like Hirohito was kind of the face but really didn't hold much decision making from what I've read.

Is it true that the Japanese military leaders were mostly the ones who called the shots though? I kind of feel like Hirohito was kind of the face but really didn't hold much decision making from what I've read.

History says Hirohito was a helpless pawn in the hands of the fascists led by Tojo. But Hirohito's diary is making us think that Hirohito may have been more supportive of and active in the war effort than most people think. This is why the release of his diary (finally, many years after the end of the war) is so important.

Back
Top Bottom