What's new

Help with this sentence from ベルサイユのばら

Yakultcat

後輩
25 Jul 2012
I'd be really grateful if someone could help breakdown this sentence for me. (It's manga so not put it in translation forum. I'm trying to read through to improve my reading skills/kanji recognition/vocab, but bits are a bit difficult and it bugs me not to know before I move on...)

こんちきしょ-
いばりくさって欲深で能なしの貴族どもめ!
As far as I can work out - こんちきしょー = those animals/those bastards

いばりくさって欲深で = Throwing their weight around, with their greed? (Or is that supposed to be with puffed up greed? Not come across the verb いばりくす before and a little confused with te form + noun de. I can't tell if the verb is modifying the noun, or the noun is happening after the verb, or something else entirely, and de is with/because of?)
Rest = Something of those damn nobles?

Thanks for any clarification!

I am pretty sure くさって here is an attachment that adds a demeaning connotation to the topic. In modern anime it would likely be said as "くせぇ" or something. It probably comes from the word くさい, which means "stench." So, you can probably draw a parallel with English sentences like "Stinkin' red necks!"

"The talentless nobles, and the like, with their stinkin' prideful greed."

I am pretty sure くさって here is an attachment that adds a demeaning connotation to the topic. In modern anime it would likely be said as "くせぇ" or something. It probably comes from the word くさい, which means "stench." So, you can probably draw a parallel with English sentences like "Stinkin' red necks!"

"The talentless nobles, and the like, with their stinkin' prideful greed."
Ah thank you!
I was puzzling over that 能なしの bit, but it's = nou(talent) + nashi(without) + no(possesive marker).
So it's ibari (urine?) + kusai (stench), so literally, with thier urine-stinking prideful greed?
Wow this character is really annoyed...

a little confused with te form + noun de. I can't tell if the verb is modifying the noun, or the noun is happening after the verb, or something else entirely, and de is with/because of?
Those are the continuous usage of the -te form. いばりくさって, 欲深で and 能なしの are all modify 貴族ども. As you can see below, only the last one preceding a noun is changed to the attributive form. (欲深 is the stem of a na-adjective, not a noun.)

いばりくさって欲深で能なし貴族ども = 欲深で能なしでいばりくさっ貴族ども = 能なしでいばりくさって欲深貴族ども

Back
Top Bottom