What's new

Help with the word hanasu

Wakaranai

先輩
8 Jun 2004
Why is the Present Polite of hanasu = hanashimasu

How come it is not hanasimasu

On most of the consonant verb Conjugation you take the stem hanas and add the I = hanasi to get the infinitave and then you add the masu to make it polite
so you should get hanasimasu. But my book says that the word is conjuated as
Hanashimasu Why? :? 🙂

hana"shi"masu = the Hepburn system notation
hana"si"masu = the kunrei system notation

Today, we have two alphabetical notation of Japanese language; the Hepburn system and the kunrei system. The former was invented by an American missionary, Dr. J. C. Hepburn(1815-1911). That system was spread earlier and may be the de facto standard of today, but technically inferior to the kunrei system(It is said Hepburn system is too English-based and not so fit to Japanese language).

For Your Information, we learn the kunrei system in elementary school on the Ministry of Education's wishes, while we write our name in the Hepburn system on our passport, due to the Foreign Ministry. :D

So ether way you pronouce the same? I would have sayed SI a tad different than SHI

What is the best system to learn by?
I find Japanese not that hard to learn to speek but it is like any other language you have to take time to studdy.

Thanks Any other info or tips will be helpfull.

>So ether way you pronouce the same?
Yes, exactly.

>What is the best system to learn by?
Both aren't perfect, but the difference isn't so big and you need not be so nervous about it.

Here, you can see the two and other minnows.
ローマ字

The basic hiragana/katakana syllables according to the Hepburn method:

a i u e o
ka ki ku ke ko
sa shi su se so
ta chi tsu te to
na ni nu ne no
ha hi fu he ho
ma mi mu me mo
ya yu yo
ra ri ru re ro
wa wo n

For some extra fun and practice, try forming the "masu" form of "matsu." :)

Isn't there yet another romanization system for typing?

Basically
shi = si
chi = ti (chi with a " = di... but hows it pronounced?)
fu = hu
tsu = tu

Think of the left being literal readings and the right being the technically correct (pattern is a i u e o, then plus k, s, t etc)

You HAVE to stop thinking about romanization. Seriously. "Si/shi", "chi/ti" and all that, are all just ways that attempt to reproduce japanese sounds using english letters. There is NO difference at all between the sounds, it's just a different way of WRITING them in english. The kana for "fu" is the same as "hu". Why? Because there is only one sound, and silly english people are trying to approximate it using their writing system, so you get confused and start getting the idea that they're different.

STOP. Learn kana. Go by kana. Pronounce by kana. It's simple. Stop trying to fit foreign sounds into your native alphabet :).

Well All Romanji Japanese world are spelled in Kana right?

Is there a Offical Kana sount chart? or are all Kana charts all spelled the same?

First, it's ROMAJI, not romaNji. Characters from Roma (rome), not characters from "Roman".

All romaji japanese words spelled in kana? I have no idea what you are saying. You can't "spell" romaji in kana, they're two different writing systems. Either it's kana, or romaji. All japanese words are spelled in kana (or kanji), romaji is just an APPROXIMATION of what it sounds/looks like using our writing system.

ALL kana charts are the same. Some include old kana that aren't in use nowadays, some don't, but they all have the same kana. The sounds are all the same. There can be variation depending on dialect and such (like the normal "g"/nasal "g" distinctions), but that's it. There is no pronounciation different between someone who decides to write the kana "しゃ" like "sha" or one who decides to write it like "sya". It doesn't matter, romaji doesn't determine pronunciation, it's the kana that does.

I bet Japanese people probably would love to do away with all that romaji silliness and have everyone use the proper writing system so there's no confusion.

Back
Top Bottom