What's new

help with study interpretation

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Hi All,
I am completing a question in one of my review books. The grammar point is ことになっている.
The conversation is between an male home stay applicant and the female in charge.

M: すみません、このホームステイに申し込みをしたいんですが。締め切りまだですか。
F: はい、まだ間に合います。参加は始めてですか。
M: えい、2回目です。2回目でも大丈夫ですか。
F: はい、大丈夫です。えー、日本に来てどのぐらいになりますか。
M: 10か月を過ぎたところです。あと、1か月で帰国する予定です。
F: そうですか。んー、実は、このホームステイは、来日してから半年以内の留学生しか申し込みができないことになっているんすよ。
M: え、そうなんですか。

男の留学生はどうしてホームステイに参加できませんか。

I'm a bit confused with the 6th line.
Has The student been in Japan to long for this homestay and does not have enough time left before he returns home? does 来日してから半年以内の留学生しか申し込みができないことになっているんすよ。mean, that for students within 6 months after arriving in japan, it has become not allowed to apply?
in other words this homestay is for longer then 6 months?

よろしくお願いします

[<来日してから半年以内> の <留学生>] しか申し込みができない

Only students who have been in Japan less than six months can apply. The key to understanding this is making sure you understand the function/usage of しか. It has a limiting effect and is paired with negative verbs.

女子トイレは女子しか使ってはいけない
(Only girls can use the ladies' room)

千円しかない
(I have only 1000 yen)

ともだちはあなたしかいない
(You're the only friend I have)

お肉しか食べないダイエットがある
(There is a diet where you eat only meat)

Etc.

[<来日してから半年以内> の <留学生>] しか申し込みができない

Only students who have been in Japan less than six months can apply. The key to understanding this is making sure you understand the function/usage of しか. It has a limiting effect and is paired with negative verbs.

女子トイレは女子しか使ってはいけない
(Only girls can use the ladies' room)

千円しかない
(I have only 1000 yen)

ともだちはあなたしかいない
(You're the only friend I have)

お肉しか食べないダイエットがある
(There is a diet where you eat only meat)

Etc.
Thanks mikesan that really clears it up. especially when you broke it up with 留学生しか

few typos
F: はい、まだ間に合います。参加はめてですか。
M: いえ、2回目です。2回目でも大丈夫ですか。

F: そうですか。んー、実は、このホームステイは、来日してから半年以内の留学生しか申し込みができないことになっているすよ。

Isn't there any explanation about the meaning of ことになっている, which is different from ことになる/ことになった "to become", in your textbook?

few typos

Isn't there any explanation about the meaning of ことになっている, which is different from ことになる/ことになった "to become", in your textbook?
Thanks for your reply. I will check and reply.

few typos

Hi Toritoribesan,
My notes say....
ことになっている/ことになった indicates a decision has been made beyond he speakers personal control.
That makes a lot of sense. In this case the person in charge is talking about rules which she is enforcing but didn't introduce.
I will have to keep this in mind in the future.
Thanks for the nudge.

Back
Top Bottom