What's new

help with interpretation and grammar

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Hi guys,
In the following example article from my text book I have a couple of question I was hoping to receive some help about.
合掌造りというのは、掌を合わせたような形の屋根を持つ住まいのことである。この形が完成したのは江戸時代後半(18世紀)で、重い雪でも壊れないように、屋根が下のように造られている。
In particular in the second sentence. Is the use of 完成したin this case mean perfected?

Also does this でexpress "reason"

My interpretation is:

This shape was perfected by the latter half of the Edo period and constructed in order to prevent such things like heavy snow destroying the roof.
よろしくお願いします

。この形が完成したのは江戸時代後半(18世紀)で、重い雪でも壊れないように、屋根が下のように造られている。
In particular in the second sentence. Is the use of 完成したin this case mean perfected?

Also does this でexpress "reason"

My interpretation is:

This shape was perfected by the latter half of the Edo period and constructed in order to prevent such things like heavy snow destroying the roof.
よろしくお願いします
I think perfected is the appropriate word in this case. The で here is the gerund form of です -- so it's used like a conjunction here just like you translated it (and). I don't believe there is any reason implied. Or are you talking about the でも part? That means "even" as in "such that even heavy snow won't destroy it."

I think perfected is the appropriate word in this case. The で here is the gerund form of です -- so it's used like a conjunction here just like you translated it (and). I don't believe there is any reason implied. Or are you talking about the でも part? That means "even" as in "such that even heavy snow won't destroy it."
Thanks, At first for some reason I was thinking this で might have been used in a similar way to までに by the 18 century etc. But now it makes perfect sense that it is the conjunction form of でず like you pointed out. I feel silly now.
Thanks once again.

Back
Top Bottom