What's new

Help with finding the right kanji

JeaBear

Registered
15 Feb 2018
Hello, I am trying to find kanji for cherish. The meaning I am after is " hold someone/something dear."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is highly likely. If I can find the appropriate kanji.

I have done research prior to asking, but I could not find what I was looking for. And the people I asked for my other tattoos, I no longer have contact information for.

Can you provide some context for this tattoo? You want a single word that means "cherish?" Translations don't work well when we only have a small part of the picture

Question: why Japanese? Why not Spanish, or French, or Hindi? Why not Morse code, Braille, or ASCII-encoded binary? Why not English?

Why not Chinese?

Can we see some pictures of your other kanji tattoos, please?

I grew up watching Japanese animation and fell in love with the language. It looks and sounds very lovely, even though I do not understand it. I hope to be able to travel to Japan in the near future. I guess you could say I have a soft spot for Japanese.

As for the 'cherish', I guess the closest I can come to for context is.. I cherish you sunshine. Sunshine being a nickname for someone who has been a big part of my life and means a lot to me.. Does that help at all?

Attachments

• 15186976802252419415441494067048.jpg
    15186976802252419415441494067048.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 157
  • 15186977369117279742699374797494.jpg
    15186977369117279742699374797494.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 166
Thank you for the photos.

Why did you get "name" on your finger?

It looks and sounds very lovely because I do not understand it.
FTFY

If you did understand it, you wouldn't think that it inherently sounds "lovely". Your tattoos are about as bland as they come. They're plain text, clearly taken from a generic font. It's like rendering the word in the Arial font and making that a tattoo. (Funny enough, some Asian people actually do have tattoos like that if I'm not mistaken.)

Why did you get "name" on your finger?

Eh..two fold. One is a really stupid youth reason. It's the middle finger.. so insert name here kind of thing.

And two, a discussion me and a friend got into over how people such an emphasis on Name. Everyone and everything has to be named, and how we hold such power over something's with just a name and such.

How about the "flower in the shade" one? What's the story on that?

Here are some "kanji" for "hold someone/something dear." Sourced from good ol' Google Translate and my 40 years of living in Japan as missionary-pastor.

愛蔵する (pronounced "ai-zou-suru"); to cherish, to treasure

可愛がる(pronounced "ka-wai-garu"); to cherish, be affectionate, be fond of, to adore. Ces already mntioned thisd one.

慕う(pronounced "shi-tau"); to long for, to seek with one's heart

Attachments

• 愛Loveyou.jpg
    愛Loveyou.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 181
Back
Top Bottom