What's new

Question Help with figuring out my middle name

calicocat

Registered
10 May 2018
Here's some background info: my grandfather liked to invent names. He wanted me to have the middle name Saori, which my parents agreed on. However, it's written as 早緒. I never really thought about it throughout my childhood, maybe only when a teacher gave me a funny look when I wrote it out and said it out loud (I'm Japanese-American, and went to school every other summer as a kid). I got curious the other day and decided to search it up. While 早 seems right, 緒 seems off. As far as I know, the only matching kun for 緒 is お, but no おり. Is the written form of my middle name a mistake, or is there an older, less known/used kun/on for 緒?

Unfortunately, my grandfather died a few months before I was born, so I was never able to meet him and ask him this question.

Also, what do you think this form of 早緒 translates to?

Thanks!

Here's some background info: my grandfather liked to invent names. He wanted me to have the middle name Saori, which my parents agreed on. However, it's written as 早緒. I never really thought about it throughout my childhood, maybe only when a teacher gave me a funny look when I wrote it out and said it out loud (I'm Japanese-American, and went to school every other summer as a kid). I got curious the other day and decided to search it up. While 早 seems right, 緒 seems off. As far as I know, the only matching kun for 緒 is お, but no おり. Is the written form of my middle name a mistake, or is there an older, less known/used kun/on for 緒?

Unfortunately, my grandfather died a few months before I was born, so I was never able to meet him and ask him this question.

Also, what do you think this form of 早緒 translates to?

Thanks!
There are rules regarding the kanji that can be used in names in the Japanese law, but there are not any articles about the reading of names. Thus, although it's uncommon to read 早緒 as さおり, it's acceptable even if it's actually just your grandfather's mistake of 早織 or 早緒理.

Back
Top Bottom