What's new

Help with させてください (making a request) sentences.

GenjiMain

後輩
29 Jul 2018
Hi all. I'm working through Genki 2 and am hoping someone can check to see if my translations make sense. The question states these sentences are supposed to be addressed to my boss.

Please let me have next week off (from work). I want to travel to Europe with my friends next month. = 来週は休みさせてください。来月、友達とEuropeに行きたいです。

Please let me teach English to your child. = お子さんに英語を教えらせてください。

Please let me pay for our dinner. 私があなたにおごらせてください。

Please allow me to drive you home. 家まで運転視させてください。

Please give me time to think about it. 考えらせてください。

TY.

Unfortunately, all of these are wrong in some way.

Please let me have next week off (from work). I want to travel to Europe with my friends next month. = 来週は休みさせてください。来月、友達とEuropeに行きたいです。
This should be 休ませてください (causative of 休む) or お休みさせてください (causative of the humble お休みする).
The second sentence ending with just plain -たいです isn't ungrammatical, but it's something a native would never say. It sounds like you're just confessing a wish to your boss for no reason.

It's not your fault because of the nature of the question, but honestly, asking your boss for time off with -ください would come off as pretty blunt and rude. ("Give me next week off. I want to go to Europe with my friends.")

A more natural way of saying this in Japanese would be 友達とヨーロッパに行きたいと思っているのですが、来週(来月?you use both, so I don't know which you mean)休ませていただいてもいいでしょうか?(if you wanted to use the causative) or お休み(or "有休")をいただいてもいいですか? (this doesn't use the causative but it's a pretty standard way of asking for time off) etc. etc.

お子さんに英語を教えらせてください。
Not the proper conjugation. 教える is an 一段 (or "ru") verb, so the causative is 教えさせてください.

私があなたにおごらせてください。
おごらせてください is properly conjugated, but 私があなたに is incorrect.
For one thing, あなた is rude directed to a superior (and not necessary in context) so drop it entirely.
Next, the person who is being "let" to do something (in this case, the speaker/you) is marked with に.
Even still, it's not really necessary in this context since it's clear that you're talking about yourself.
In context, you could just say おごらせてください or 払わせてください and be understood, though adding 私に wouldn't be incorrect.

Please allow me to drive you home. 家まで運転視させてください。
The conjugation of させてください is correct, but do you mean 運転手 (driver)?
This would be understandable, though 運転手 isn't typically used as a verb.
お家まで車で送らせてください。would be the most natural way to say this with the causative.

(It's probably worth pointing out that in real life conversation, you'd probably more likely hear humble forms, i.e. お送りします, than causative.)

Please give me time to think about it. 考えらせてください。
As above, the verb is conjugated incorrectly. 考える is an 一段 (or "ru") verb, so the causative is 考えさせてください.

Back
Top Bottom