What's new

Help translating some WW2 items including Yosegaki Hinomaru

Nenoob

Registered
23 Jul 2022
Hello! I'm new to this forum (this is my first post). I'm interested in the history of these items and would appreciate any assistance offered in translation. Sorry if the photos may have rotated. The first pic is flag #1, with less writing. It is cotton or linen, and of typical dimensions - I have suspicions it is not 'real', but possibly a ww2 period 'reproduction' due to the handwriting? (similar hand, some seem to be 'squiggles', etc.). The second is an equipment tag, with possibly a name or ? The third is a small box, with what appear to be earplugs inside. And the fourth pic is flag #2, silk of typical dimensions, which I feel is 'real' - if so, any information regarding primary names, places, and/or dates would be appreciated. I have very little information on any of these items except that they were brought to the US by military veterans many years ago.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance!

Nenoob/Jim

Attachments

• Japanese Flag No 1.pdf
    21.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Japanese Equipment Tag.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 84
  • Japanese Box.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 72
  • Japanese Flag No 2.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
For those who can't do .pdf files.
box.jpgtag.jpgf1.jpgf2.jpg

Ear plug box says 護耳器 (gojiki) which is a now-outdated name for ear plugs. Its written right to left on the box.
The leather tag says 笠 (kasa-something). I can't pick out the second character. I assume this is a name, but the typical names starting with "kasa" don't have a following character that looks like the one on this tag.
The white flag with the sparse writing looks suspicious to me. I can't see a recipient's name on it. It has the names of some people who (presumably) signed the flag. It has some patriotic slogans, but no location or date.
The yellowed flag is similarly without a location or date, but maybe the dark writing to the right of the red disc is the intended recipient's name. i can't make it out though. The rest are the signatures of the people who presented the flag.

Very interesting!

-Nice to know the box actually contains earplugs.
-Thanks to Uncle Frank for re-posting the pics so they can be seen more easily - just wanted to note I get larger, more detailed images downloading the original attachments, if that would help anyone to see more flag details. Let me know if a more detailed pic of any area would help also.
-If it matters, the equipment tag is on the backside of a Nambu holster - if the tag name is Kasagi or Kasaki, is that a common name?

Thank you all again for the help!
Jim

Back
Top Bottom