What's new

HELP Reading,Writing and understanding the language Japanese

JustinIs18

Sempai
30 Apr 2016
I was wondering if someone could please send me the Japanese alphabet to english from a website, (Note) I have tried looking for the Japanese alphabet but it is very confusing because some of them are different and I am not Japanese so I could be looking at the wrong alphabet and I would never know. I will really appreciate this please can someone help a man who is trying to expand his horizons and general knowledge out please!

It only takes a few days to learn the two phonetic syllabaries, hiragana and katakana (which is probably what you mean by alphabets).

I did it simply by writing the syllabaries out in order, learning one 5-character row at a time and commiting it to memory. It took me about 5 minutes out of every hour for a week to learn both syllabaries. (Breaking it up into small sessions through the day helps test and build your memory; you can't really just sit down and memorize it all in one long sitting, unless you're blessed with a phenomenal memory or have some highly developed memorization techniques.)

If you want to be more modern about it, there are tons of free flashcard programs and memory 'games' for practicing recognition. I honestly think though that actually writing (in correct stroke order) is important, which isn't to say you can't use flashcard programs or memory games. Google around (or search these forums) for 'learning kana' or the like.

I was wondering if someone could please send me the Japanese alphabet to english from a website, (Note) I have tried looking for the Japanese alphabet but it is very confusing because some of them are different and I am not Japanese so I could be looking at the wrong alphabet and I would never know. I will really appreciate this please can someone help a man who is trying to expand his horizons and general knowledge out please!
There is Hiragana and Katakana. Both cover the same sounds but used differently. Both are necessary.

Yeah, wikipedia is a good source for that!
If you need free online hiragana or katakana tests, here you go:
Japanese Hiragana Practice Test - Number One
Japanese Katakana Practice Test - Number One

Last edited:
You first need to understand that the Japanese Language has three classifications of characters, which are hiragana, katakana, and kanji.

Normally, people start out by learning hiragana and katakana, because you are simply learning how to spell words with a phonetic alphabet (of relating to speech sounds). Thus, hiragana and katakana are your sound/syllable alphabet characters. Kanji becomes a more extensive study, since the meanings behind the characters vary depending on their usage.

I started out with tofugu's useful videos with memorizing hiragana and katakana. I don't think there's a shortcut to learning it unless you memorize hiragana and katakana first. Here's a link to tofugu's video tutorials: Learn Hiragana: Tofugu's Ultimate Guide

Back
Top Bottom