What's new

Help identifying a blurry kanji character

22 Apr 2003
I was wondering if anyone can help me identify the kanji character I'm pointing out in this pic:

It looks like the right radical is sell but there is no way I can figure out what the blurry mess on the left hand side could be. So, I was hoping someone could figure it out thanks to the context of the sentence. Thanks for any help.

I've also just been reading a book on the origin of around 2,000 kanji. For this one, with the left radical 'string' and the right 'sell,' it says: "sell here is acting phonetically to express 'join' and also lending an idea of 'equivilance' (from the idea of exchanging goods for an equivilant amount of money). Thus to join threads of equal length, giving the idea of continuity and succession." In other words, continue to sell threads. Pretty cool :).

Originally posted by Elizabeth
I've also just been reading a book on the origin of around 2,000 kanji. For this one, with the left radical 'string' and the right 'sell,' it says: "sell here is acting phonetically to express 'join' and also lending an idea of 'equivalence' (from the idea of exchanging goods for an equivilant amount of money). Thus to join threads of equal length, giving the idea of continuity and succession." In other words, continue to sell threads. Pretty cool :).
Hah, how fitting. Thanks so much for the quick reply Elizabeth (and to Maciamo for the backup). I will now "continue to sell threads". This calls for roughly three smilies, I believe:

😄 😄

Back
Top Bottom