What's new

Help Help about kanji and vocabulary

Hayashi_Haru

Registered
9 Feb 2017
Hello everyone!
It's my first post here; I'm new here and Japanese. And I'm really confused...
I have some questions, I'll list them. And English is not my native language so I'm sorry if my English is bad.
1-) HOW SHOULD I LEARN A KANJI?
Should I learn a kaji's all readings if the kanji has more than one on-yomi or more than one kun-yomi? Or just learn the single meaning and the same word in Japanese?
2-) IS IT POSSIBLE TO GUESS THE JAPANESE READING OF A WORD?
Can we guess it? And if we can't is it really necessary to memorize all the readings of a kanji?
3-) HOW SHOULD LEARN VOCABULARY?
Should I learn the words like they are single kanjis? Let me give you an exapmle: 学生. Should I think like "this is Gakusei. It means student. It' writing contains two kanjs; 学+生=学生." Or should I say "this is Gakusei. It means student. And it's writing as 学生. Should I think 学生 is one whole thing? And if I should do the second one, should I memorize more than 1000 word writings except the 2000 joyo kanji?

I really need help... And you are my last hope.

I'm personally learning Japanese myself and the answer I have for three comes from my personal experience. In my opinion you should know what each kanji represents and it's different readings. It's good to have both an understanding of what a kanji is by itself and in a word. For example the meaning of 母国語 can be understood if you know the meaning for 母 and 国 and 語. So if you come across this and don't know the reading you can at least get an understanding of the meaning.

Hello everyone!
It's my first post here; I'm new here and Japanese. And I'm really confused...
I have some questions, I'll list them. And English is not my native language so I'm sorry if my English is bad.
1-) HOW SHOULD I LEARN A KANJI?
Should I learn a kaji's all readings if the kanji has more than one on-yomi or more than one kun-yomi? Or just learn the single meaning and the same word in Japanese?
You will have to learn more than one reading for most kanji eventually. That said, there are a bunch of readings you will probably never need. I would suggest trying to learn the readings that are commonly used in words. It's easier to to that if you use kanji cards that include words that use them (or software that does the same thing).
2-) IS IT POSSIBLE TO GUESS THE JAPANESE READING OF A WORD?
Can we guess it? And if we can't is it really necessary to memorize all the readings of a kanji?
It's possible. It's also possible to get it wrong. Generally
KANJI+kana(+kana) will have the KUN reading for that kanji.
e.g. 話す is はなす and definitely not ワす. That comes back to learning vocabulary alongside kanji readings.
KANJI+KANJI would usually have the ON reading for the two kanji.
e.g. 学生 is ガクセイ and not まなびいき (lol).
There are exceptions, though.

3-) HOW SHOULD LEARN VOCABULARY?
Should I learn the words like they are single kanjis? Let me give you an exapmle: 学生. Should I think like "this is Gakusei. It means student. It' writing contains two kanjs; 学+生=学生." Or should I say "this is Gakusei. It means student. And it's writing as 学生. Should I think 学生 is one whole thing? And if I should do the second one, should I memorize more than 1000 word writings except the 2000 joyo kanji?
Well, not to quite answer your question, but you don't just learn 学, learn 生 and automatically know that 学生 is a word and how to use it. Vocabularly learning is best done from text that gives furigana, or has audio, or even is just in kana. At least at the start.

I'm really grateful for your replies. They really helped me.
Then, I'll start to learning the most using on and kun readings at firstand I'll learn words with their writings.
I know I asked too much and I'm sorry about this but I have one more question and it's the last one for now, it's about on-kun readings again:
Some kanjis like "一" has similar readings like ひと- ひと.つ and イチ イツ . Is the "tsu" (ツ and つ) about the pronunciation? I mean, in Turkish we use -a/-e for 'to' like in 'going to school'. And school means 'okul' in Turkish. the last vowel is 'u' so we use -a, not -e. We say okul-a 'gitmek'. because it sounds better. So is this 'tsu' using because the similar reasons?
Huh, I hope I could explain myself.

いち and いつ have different usage/meaning with each other. They are not just variations of a single word.

Back
Top Bottom