What's new

Have you ever heard of Natto?

kinjo

後輩
15 Mar 2002
I just got back from Japan 3 days ago, and I love all of their food. I always have liked sushi even when people have discouraged me to eat it. Then we went to a sushi bar and I ate all of the seafood and loved it. I actually like all Japanese food. I think it just takes getting used to, and then you love it. But then they had this stuff called Natto they wanted me to try. Ughhh!!!!!!!!!!! It was horrible! They said it was fermented soybeans, but It tasted like eating puke. I guess It's an aquired taste or something, but I humbly ate it all. My gaijin tongue sorta couldn't handle it.................

Attachments

• natto.jpg
    natto.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 246
Thanks! I'm kinda stupid about searching around...........or maybe that's my laziness kicking in?

Oh well that thread was probably really old. No one really wants to look around and check if there's another thread which is the same topic as yours... Anyway Ugh! 😲 Natto.... I saw that while I was watching Iron Chef. It's looks so sick and disgusting. I would never eat it. All slimy and ****~~~! :devilish: :mad:

Acually I heard that the dried snacks were kinda bland. Sorta demeans the purpose of the 'Gaijin Test'. <----- What the Gaijin test is, is where a Japanese person finds some really gross tasting Japanese food, such as Natto, and makes them eat it. Some of my Japanese friends made me eat raw squid. Actually it doesn't taste that bad. Kind of like chicken if you don't think about it.................

oooh I finally tried natto tonight - just a little bit....
I've been putting it off cos it looks so gross. actually it wasn't that bad, although it has a strong, unusual taste.
I'm detirmined to try everything (food-wise) once while I am in Japan. One you get over the fear, eating strange food is actually fun :)
so.... what's next...?

a lot of japanese resturants serve natto... one just has to ask for it (here anyways). good luck!

Natto tastes bad?
exactly smells bad, but tastes good!!
I eat it every morning...
If you don't like the smell,
you should try "Niowanatto"...

it's good for preventing cancer also right? soybeans? i heard miso soup was good for the same reason...

mmm................miso soup...............................................................................

Yummmmm is what I say too. I love it. Of course, I make it all the time. I like to make mine using awase miso and lots of wakame, tofu, and negi! Yum! 🍜

edit: nabeyaki udon last night at different one

the kaiten zushi i go to, one of my friends really hooks me up! loads it down with mushrooms and onions...
aaaah! i should have ate some monday night! she asked me too and i said no :(

Kirei_na_me, that sounds awesome! The first miso soup I had had onions tofu and a little eggplant. It was to die for!!!!!!! Not sure about what type of miso it was, but all I know, it was heavenly.

I use awase miso, with thinly sliced onion and potato, sometimes asparagus or eggplant and when it's almost finished I carefully pour in a beaten egg. If I want it to be a bigger dish I add pre-cooked somen.
yumyum! Husband says I make it better than him -yay! (He's a great cook)
😄

Wow........................................................*drool hits keyboard* oops, better wipe that off.

Back
Top Bottom