What's new

Natto?

eimik

先輩
25 Dec 2002
Can you eat NATTO?!?!?

Mmmmm natto on a bed of freshly steam rice.

Oh so super oishi!

Doh! try as I might... I must admit I'm not particularly fond of Natto. I know it's an acquired taste really, and while I've had it in the past in various ways--it just doesn't seem palatable to me for some reason. Nevertheless, I do know several other foreigners who absolutely love it, heh. :cool:
:)

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Doh! try as I might... I must admit i'm not particularly fond of Natto. I know it's an acquired taste really, and while i've had it in the past in various ways--it just doesn't seem palatable to me for some reason. Nevertheless, I do know several other foreigners who absolutely love it, heh. :cool:
:)

I ate Curry for the first time in the 20 years I've been alive recently in Japan and it was gross, I've never ate Natto but I won't ever eat 98% of the food in Japan, I also want to give a recommendation for foreigners to NOT eat Umeboshi but do try to Kujira (whale), that sh*t is off the hook but its $$$.

Josh

To be really honest: it doesn't taste that bad. But have you ever smelled your fingers after eating natto?

;)

That is probably the only food in the world (and I'm experienced) that makes me want to throw up. I can eat any fish, shellfish, snails, frogs, camel, crocodile, fried insects, scorpions, any fruit, vegetable, root, spice or mix of all these, but not natto, sorry.

Okay, I have to say that I hate natto. I can't even stand to look at it, much less eat it. I remember I went over to my friend's house one day, and she was scrambling it with eggs, and I said I'd be back later.

I don't like umeboshi either. Thinking of it makes my mouth water--not because it's good, but because it's so sour. Ick. Another thing that I can't get near is uni. I'll never put that in my mouth again. Never.

Hate to sound unsophisticated, but yuck.

Originally posted by Maciamo
That is probably the only food in the world (and I'm experienced) that makes me want to throw up. I can eat any fish, shellfish, snails, frogs, camel, crocodile, fried insects, scorpions, any fruit, vegetable, root, spice or mix of all these, but not natto, sorry.

Camel huh? I bet you have never tried any Camel's toe huh? I eat that all the time but if it hasn't been soaking it's tougher to chew.

Josh

> Can you eat NATTO?!?!?

I can but I choose not to.

thomas, I don't think you're supposed to eat natto with your fingers!

kireiname,
I never cared much for uni either but one time I had super-fresh melt-in-your-mouth uni that was really, really good. It's one of those things that has to be fresh or it's crap.

I was ambivalent about Japanese food when I was first exposed to it but now I love it.

mdchachi

Yes, that's what I've been told about the uni. I have only had the opportunity to eat it here in the States, so of course it couldn't compare to the uni you can get in Japan.

Maybe I should give it another chance. ;)

dooode, you guys are totally crazee!

natto is pure goodness. And apparently not a lot of Okinawa people eat it because they are not accustomed to it. oh well.

Curry rice, the Japanese style totally rocks pants off. Mmm curry bun, curry udon...

Umeboshi rules all. Not the stuff you buy now at the grocery store thats loaded with perservitives. But the homemade style with all that salt.

Hmm i;'ll try to think of some more.

Originally posted by eimik
dooode, you guys are totally crazee!

natto is pure goodness. And apparently not a lot of Okinawa people eat it because they are not accustomed to it. oh well.

Curry rice, the Japanese style totally rocks pants off. Mmm curry bun, curry udon...

Umeboshi rules all. Not the stuff you buy now at the grocery store thats loaded with perservitives. But the homemade style with all that salt.

Hmm i;'ll try to think of some more.

Hahahahaa, I remember when I first saw Curry Udon I had asked my friend what animal had released its bowels on otherwise such a tasty tasty dish but then later I found myself liking Curry, it just looks different than a quarter pounder with chese.

Josh

Not just Okinawan people. About half of the Japanese people can't eat natto. It's more popular in Kanto (Tokyo) than Kansai (Osaka, Kyoto), but I know quite a few Japanese in Tokyo who can't eat it either. More intriguing, I've found that even more Japanese cannot eat raw fish or some kind of seafood (especially shellfish). But I just love them ! ;) I don't like fried fish so much, first because I like juicy things, then because of all those tiny fishbones. That quite irritating to deal with when you are really hungry.

Okay. I'm sorry if I'm being rude etc., but I have to ask, just because I eagerly want to know.

What is it exactly, this Natto? :)

Hi Chipi,
You are not being rude at all by asking. Natto is a kind of Japanese food made of fermented (read "smelly and pungent") soybeans.

natto is pure goodness.
If by "goodness" you mean something that smells like athletic socks after a hard days workout and has the consistency of the slime they used in the movie Alien containing diarrhea-like chunks, then, yes, Natto is, indeed, pure goodness.

natto-1.jpg

Even people who eat it will usually defend by it by saying how healthy it is, not by saying how nice it smells or tastes. I'm sure it's healthy but I'll stick with Tofu and other products for my soy protein.

If by "goodness" you mean something that smells like athletic socks after a hard days workout and has the consistency of the slime they used in the movie Alien containing diarrhea-like chunks, then, yes, Natto is, indeed, pure goodness.

Precisely...hehehe! :D

Originally posted by mdchachi

whoa whoa whoa!

its not cool to insult the food people eat, you poophead

wuahahah :D That was a pretty acurate description of how I see natto too. For some reason, people either love it or really hate it. The former always seem proud to like it and adopt a quite defensive attitude (like Eimik, but Japanese are like that between them too). Natto is certainly the most polemical kind of food in Japan. It even break couples (no, I am kidding here).

thomas, I don't think you're supposed to eat natto with your fingers!

LOLOL, thomas the savage only use fingers! Seriously, I had to open the package with my fingers and it turned out to be a sticky issue.

its not cool to insult the food people eat, you poophead

It's even less cool to insult people. Anyway, I was stating an opinion of the way nattou looks & smells to me. If you think it smells like roses & tastes like pizza, that's fine with me.

P.S. My comment was meant to be humorous (albeit accurate), I'm sorry if it offended you.

It's even less cool to insult people. Anyway, I was stating an opinion of the way nattou looks & smells to me. If you think it smells like roses & tastes like pizza, that's fine with me.

P.S. My comment was meant to be humorous (albeit accurate), I'm sorry if it offended you.

tehehe no worries buddy. In fact i wasnt even offended.

Anyway natto smells and tastes like natto. ok...

Tell me eimik, why Japanese curry is so good. I really don't see what's so special about it-- maybe it's because I make my own masalas.

Originally posted by Haivart
Tell me eimik, why Japanese curry is so good. I really don't see what's so special about it-- maybe it's because I make my own masalas.

Hmmm, im totally wordless

Its probaly because i have consumed Japanese style curry and other edibles ever since i was chibi/little.

To tell you the truth i really dont know why its so good. Perhaps because its alittle hot, mild, sweet, creamy, tasty. yah im crazee.

No offense to anyone who loves natto but,.................................I think it tastes like puke.

My husband absolutely hates natto. His family eats it all the time. I have tried it and it's pretty good. I have a weird palate though.
Umeboshii is my very favorite stirred into fresh rice. My in-laws always ask me if I want one because I loved them the first time.
My mother-in-law makes homemade pickles and ginger too. It's awesome. My husband hates all the food I eat witht them. They always joke that I am more japanese than him. funny!
Now, I know unagi is probably good but, I haven't been able to bring myself to eat because of it's shape of a snake. But, I might take the challenge soon. Tempura veggies are my favorite too with udon. I like Thai curries much better than Japanese. I am looking for spicy!

Back
Top Bottom