What's new

Natto!!!

So, as most of us suspected, the recent 'natto diet' which a TV show claimed would help people to lose weight was based on fabricated data and was therefore a complete fraud.

There's a short piece about it in English here

And and nice quote from it here:
Like a majority of these programs on Japanese television, the content is determined less by producers objectively scouring developments in the health world and more about pleasing commercial and industrial sponsors.

Why can't people spot the lunacy of corporate induced health fads?

I'm glad the craze is over. There had been another instance of fabrication (more like an exaggeration, actually) with another food (white kidney beans, if I remember correctly) in a program aired by TBS. Looks like the TV stations are in intense search for health and diet foods to earn viewer ratings!! 😊

Still, natto remains my favorite health food!! 👍

For all natto-lovers!

It was difficult to find natto during the last few days because of the natto-eating craze. In the coming week on the other hand it should be easy to find some, as the producers have now produced massice ammounts:

"Natto producers cry foul over cancelled orders after bogus natto diet TV show
MITO -- Producers of natto, a strong-smelling food made from fermented soybeans, have found themselves in trouble due to cancelled orders that came after a television station admitted it falsified data in a "natto diet" program.

Orders of natto surged after the program was screened, but on Sunday, the day after Kansai Telecasting Corp. announced that the program contained falsified data, the orders suddenly halted, and producers of the food say they may have to throw out natto they produced before the orders were cancelled.

"After the program was broadcast on Jan. 7, the orders from supermarkets climbed to about 1.5 times the normal level, but today the orders have suddenly stopped," said a representative of one small-sized manufacturer in Hitachi, Ibaraki Prefecture.

Production of natto usually begins two to three days before it is shipped out.

"We've already produced natto for Monday and Tuesday's shipments, but natto only has a one-week use-by date. If we don't receive any orders we might have to dispose of it. We're set to lose hundreds of thousands of yen," the representative said.

Another small-sized producer in Tsuchiura, Ibaraki Prefecture, said a supermarket had phoned in and cancelled an order.

"We ordered a huge number of natto containers and boxes for shipments, but they might not fit in the warehouse," an angry official from the company said. "The television station caused trouble for supermarkets, industry workers, consumers and lots of other people. I want them to realize that they have a lot of influence."

A worker at a supermarket in Mito said the situation has changed greatly since the television station's announcement.

"Sales doubled after the television program, but today's sales went back to normal, and we've got quite a lot of natto left over. We also have a lot of natto in stock, and are worried if we'll be able to get rid of it before the use-by date. We're going to hold off orders for a while." (Mainichi)

It was difficult to find natto during the last few days because of the natto-eating craze. In the coming week on the other hand it should be easy to find some, as the producers have now produced massice ammounts:
"Natto producers cry foul over cancelled orders after bogus natto diet TV show
MITO -- Producers of natto, a strong-smelling food made from fermented soybeans, have found themselves in trouble due to cancelled orders that came after a television station admitted it falsified data in a "natto diet" program.
Orders of natto surged after the program was screened, but on Sunday, the day after Kansai Telecasting Corp. announced that the program contained falsified data, the orders suddenly halted, and producers of the food say they may have to throw out natto they produced before the orders were cancelled.
"After the program was broadcast on Jan. 7, the orders from supermarkets climbed to about 1.5 times the normal level, but today the orders have suddenly stopped," said a representative of one small-sized manufacturer in Hitachi, Ibaraki Prefecture.
Production of natto usually begins two to three days before it is shipped out.
"We've already produced natto for Monday and Tuesday's shipments, but natto only has a one-week use-by date. If we don't receive any orders we might have to dispose of it. We're set to lose hundreds of thousands of yen," the representative said.
Another small-sized producer in Tsuchiura, Ibaraki Prefecture, said a supermarket had phoned in and cancelled an order.
"We ordered a huge number of natto containers and boxes for shipments, but they might not fit in the warehouse," an angry official from the company said. "The television station caused trouble for supermarkets, industry workers, consumers and lots of other people. I want them to realize that they have a lot of influence."
A worker at a supermarket in Mito said the situation has changed greatly since the television station's announcement.
"Sales doubled after the television program, but today's sales went back to normal, and we've got quite a lot of natto left over. We also have a lot of natto in stock, and are worried if we'll be able to get rid of it before the use-by date. We're going to hold off orders for a while." (Mainichi)
hey so what?..lol..............Isnt this pretty normail in business ?

I go home when i want, AND I CAME HERE BECOUSE I WANTED TO COME(#your visa official might think they are wise, but they are not ;P).. I have tasted this sperm tasting, crap..I know what i am talking about also.

The natto bogus must be a big dissapointment for natto manufacturers, but a great news for natto-lover!
Now we don't have to worry about if we can get enough supply for breakfast.
(And they are available at the normal price again!)

I go home when i want, AND I CAME HERE BECOUSE I WANTED TO COME(#your visa official might think they are wise, but they are not ;P).. I have tasted this sperm tasting, crap..I know what i am talking about also.

Not having tasted sperm I can't agree or disagree with you on it being 'sperm tasting' but yes it does look like the excrement of some kind of creature.

Glad to see you're still as happy as ever in Japan.

The natto bogus must be a big dissapointment for natto manufacturers, but a great news for natto-lover!
Now we don't have to worry about if we can get enough supply for breakfast.
(And they are available at the normal price again!)

And there actually seems to be more varieties in my local supermarket.

OK all these 'natto...ewww' threads and web pages have made me so curious it's not funny anymore. I can't wait until the girlfriend and I land in Narita. I'm going to add to the fax to the ryokan tomorrow to add some natto to the breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom