What's new

Have you ever felt you were in another country when ...

lexico

後輩
22 Dec 2004
in fact you weren't ? Let's take one US state for example, which officially isn't a country, but can be considered one in the classical sense of the word state. Being a lazy arse, and enjoying my ascetic-ish life style so much, I would rarely travel. It would take a real good excuse to make that giant step.

I thought my new born nephew was a good reason, so got leave, and drove down from SF area where I lived to Irvine where my sister lived to welcome him into the world. Somewhere in southern California, I stopped to refuel, and asked directions to the rest room. The cashier's answer; "We don't do that here !" I nearly went into shock, and had to take deep breaths to control my bladder ! LOL I thought, oh, this is quite unexpected ! Am I in a another country ? 😊
Sabro said:
I think California could benefit from splitting into two states- North and South. Four senators instead of two. Separate school systems, government agendas...Credo quia absurdum
I would say that might make some sense, because not only the rest room policy at the gas stations, but the langauge, lifestyles, weather, water usage, natural surroundings, all seemed quite different between North and South California.

Have you ever felt that way about your country, state, or province ?

Hawaii Is basically another country even though it is a US state. Anyone who has been there febore will tell it is nothing being on the mainland.

well with lanquage i have been. even netherlands is a small country, we have many different accents which some of them you really can not understand , also we have another lanquage in one of our state's (prefactures i can better say).

that lanquage is being called : Fries, and its nothing like dutch itself...

when i was there a couple of years ago on ( with schooll, that was fun) i really didnt understand that people.... and i really was thinking,, IS THIS ANOTHER COUntry....

nice fact : Some japanese guy was thinking that Fries was soo interesting so he worked on a Japanese-Fries Fries-Japanese dictonary for a couple of years..

Another country? Hell I feel like I'm on another planet sometimes with the psychos and sadists that live in my region. Every time I look over my shoulder I think I see somebody immitating Larry the Cable Guy. Hell, I feel like I'm back in the 1800's when the US was split in two, and that I'm stuck in the Confederacy. God help me!:mad:

Doc:ramen:😄

In Canada, it goes without saying that Quebec is different .... language and all ! And an awful lot of Quebecois would vote to be a different country tomorrow !

But I've also had the sense that in British Columbia too .... it's not really Canada !

I dunno ... can't explain it ... but, somehow .... when you cross those mountains ... you're in a different land !

Do Californians, Oregonians and Washingtonians feel the same ? (I'm not even going to ask Alaska !)

Regards,

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

I feel like I'm in Turkey on a daily basis...could it be that them folks are almost with more in numbers then the original Belgians :? *please note sarcasm -_-

I just drove through New York-Vermont-New Hampshire last weekend and noticed the difference in drivers on the highways. In Vermont, they drive slower than the drivers in New York and New Hampshire, might have to do with the fact that there are so many hippies in Vermont.

There is no sales tax in New Hampshire, and the roads there are not paved well, but people seemed extremely friendly and nice. There were two occasions when a person from where we ate took their time to talk to us. I never experienced that in New York.

In Japan, Okinawa feels like a different country because of its own unique language and cultural heritage, vastly different from the rest of Japan (Yamaton-chu). I can figure out most of what is said in other Japanese dialects, but true Okinawan dialect is totally unintelligible to me.

Still, I love its culture, foods and people. 👍

Glenn said:
Every time I go either to Texas or Mississippi. 😲

Strange....For me it was going to Yankeeland that did it. Especially the Northeast.

Well, mike, I have to agree with you there. When I go just as far north as D.C., I feel like I'm in another country. It's so crowded, people are in an all-fired hurry, manners disappear, and it makes me feel like maybe I've gone to another planet, instead of another country.

I just got back to Canada after visiting Japan and I thought it was funny how, Just like japan, Canada has signs in two languges One I can read and the other I don't understand.

P.S.
I'll be back

Going up north can be weird, maybe partly when you're treated like a tourist when you're talking exactly the same as them (especially me, I have a really strong accent) or at my gran's, up at loch lomond... Go into the forest, and it's a completely different world... I feel so peaceful there and there's none of Scotland's "grittier" features that, living in the central belt, you get used to.

kirei_na_me said:
Well, mike, I have to agree with you there. When I go just as far north as D.C., I feel like I'm in another country. It's so crowded, people are in an all-fired hurry, manners disappear, and it makes me feel like maybe I've gone to another planet, instead of another country.

When I drove trucks in the U.S. for a short while I noticed that the only good thing about going through New York on return trips was that it was positively the one and only way I could ever feel glad to be in New Jersey.

mikecash said:
Strange....For me it was going to Yankeeland that did it. Especially the Northeast.

Well, that does it too. Everything up north always seemed so sterile and non-personal to me. But it seemed that that would be too obvious an answer, and who would expect my neighboring states to seem like foreign countries to me?

mikecash said:
When I drove trucks in the U.S. for a short while I noticed that the only good thing about going through New York on return trips was that it was positively the one and only way I could ever feel glad to be in New Jersey.

LOL. I never spent much time in New Jersey, but I think I know what you mean. :D:D

Back
Top Bottom