What's new

Have We Become That Superficial?

Yeah, this forum has never had trouble as far as i can tell since ive been posting here, with arguments so, lets all chill out and reflect, we come here for friendly, calm and well-spoken debate, we should always remember that this is an online forum for (mainly) discussion about japan, and the point of it is to share and learn in a friendly, welcomming manner.

If however anyone wishes for a more heated enviroment for their online debating, there are many forums out in cyber-land which cater to a more adversarial conflict orientated style of debate and discussion, in which case, google is your friend. :)

For the rest of us, this is a broad multi-national-religion-ethnic inclusive website, where people of all ages and looks and life choices come together, so, try and remember the atmosphere of goodwill and use it everytime you make a reply. :)

To Doc
If you want to call me superifical then fine, but you're just as judgemental as I am. If I'm judgemental then you're no better than me if that's what you think. I consider this matter closed with you Void, and wish for you to get off my back. If not I will complain to Mac next time about it.

i didn`t say that i am less judgemental or superficial. And again, you are pretty good at twisting other`s words yourself, i was commenting different action. I am off your back 4 my posts above and never was much at it, btw. So, get some breathing and self-reflection you kindly advise the others, Doc. If you like go ahead, complain to Mac, to the human right`s commitee, towhoever else. It doesn`t scare me to death, even banned i still can read forum and i am not a big poster anyway * shrugs *

To Nurizeko
If however anyone wishes for a more heated enviroment for their online debating, there are many forums out in cyber-land which cater to a more adversarial conflict orientated style of debate and discussion, in which case, google is your friend.

i might if i`d need it ☝ but if i am replied in a rude manner i should turn the other cheek? Sorry, i am not Christian %\ And we haven`t yet moved to really adversarial style, maybe not really successful but i try to contain myself. If i can present other point of view and other side am i just heating up the debate? OK, i can try harder
And really sorry if it offends you, but i`ll finish the opinion i just started

Last edited:
Doc said:
And that was just a joke too because I had Foamy on the brain. :(

Doc
I thought an apology was forthcoming, whether that was a joke or not. I really did not want to say this, but does a gentleman just blame it on Foamy or cry about it without a proper apology :?

Well, I thought the hot coffee comment was very out of line, and I definitely don't think it was meant as a joke. If that were in real life, somone could be very seriously hurt by that. That was going a little too far, as far as I'm concerned, and I think almost everyone on this thread would agree. As an annoying cliche goes, "if you can't take the heat, get out the kitchen"...

Really, we don't need to lash out at each other with insults and personal attacks. If you're not mature enough to have a civilized debate, don't debate at all, ok?

lexico said:
I thought an apology was forthcoming, whether that was a joke or not. I really did not want to say this, but does a gentleman just blame it on Foamy or cry about it without a proper apology :?

Apology? Apology?! I wasn't apologizing for anything! I really did have Foamy on the brain when I wrote that comment. In his cartoon "Coffee House Propaganda" he threatens to throw his "Don Knotts Endorsed" coffee cup into the clerk's face at the Starbucks because the clerk keeps trying to tell Foamy what he should and should not buy with coffee. It was a joke as simple as that. Plus the sad emoticon was used for added humor, but I guess you didn't get that. :( <-This is used because I really am sad now.

EDIT: And for the record I don't appreciate some of you for the way you have treated me on aforementioned comment too. If it was really that much of a concern to you, then you should have PMed me about it and I would have deleted the comment, and made the proper apologies. Instead you made a public display about it. Don't you ever treat me like a child do you understand? The comment was a joke, and if you didn't get or thought it was funny then my apologies, but don't you ever treat me like that again.

Okay look, let's all just clam down and get back on topic before this useless banter from everybody starts to derail the thread even further. Okay, let's try a new topic shall we? Okay the dating sites and services; what is your personal opinion about them?

Doc

Last edited:
Well, I thought the hot coffee comment was made seriously :( but I thought you were sorry about it.

Void said:
Some of the existentialists said that the one of the problems of modern society is a concept of "value". As soon as you label smth like "value" be sure in a time to lose the meaning of that something. Value of this, value of that, values of Christianity, values of modern world, and so on. Make a list of top 10 values, rate them, compare them with other`s list and such... but tell now what is it all about, what stands behind this word "value"?..

From the book I am reading at the moment (see sig):
"I'm exceptional - a democratic term used to avoid the damning labels of gifted and deprived...and as soon as exceptional begins to mean anything to anyone they'll change it. The idea seems to be: use an expression only a long as it doesn't mean anything to anybody."

Seems like value means so many different things it means nothing at all, which is why we hang on to the term!

void said:
So, isn`t it more correct to say not "we are getting worse",
but "we are not getting any better"?

I constantly have this argument, especially with the older generation. They (generalising - 🙇‍♂️) say how much better things used to be, but that is because they only talk about the bad things today - but still drive their cars, use their computers and enjoy three foreign holidays a year. :eek:

void said:
Hedonistic and sensuous goals are more easily achieved than intellectual.

So insightful of you, and so sadly true. :(

void said:
Why Cristianity can`t go then as a trademark, like Reebok or Pepsi brands do?What is so surprising about that?

It's surprising because Christianity's supposed be about saving lives, not about getting more followers. The end result might be the same, but the motivation is different.

void said:
Don`t know how`s about post-industrial society, but for sure, we live in consuming society. Dating sites, well, pleasure also can be consumed ... It is worse than any other consumation?

It is worse because human beings are the commodity. When the commodity is materials goods of some kind, we don't usually see human beings being exploited, so we can to some extent pretend it doesn't happen. Some people avoid consumerism as much as they can, don't they? I'm sure there's somewhere we all draw the line - I don't set foot in Macdonald's, for example. :cautious:

void said:
Almost every time when i`d considered someone superficial or shallow suddenly i'd met (or heard about) a person comparing to whom my so called "deep waters" turned out to be muddy pond and my proud clipper - just a punt, or, what is worse found out that my judgement was hasty and immature. I can disagree with someone`s life style or ideals, but shouldn`t i watch my own thoughts, words and deeds first? I can`t answer qestions 1)and 3) and, therefore - 2). So, i`d rather look for beam in my own eye(maybe will be able to make a raft to sail those bloody rifts of life-river :D )`cause to skim over the surface and jump to the conclusion is no less superficial...

I love this quote! A profound and moving metaphor to convince us that you are as shallow and superficial as the next guy! My deep waters are a puddle and my proud clipper mere origami in comparison! :p

Somewhere along the line this thread became very tense and almost insulting. I think it is about time it went back to the original topic and less of the insults and flaming.

Instead lets throw virtual pies at each other.
Rules: You can't throw a pie at whoever has thrown one at you.
Only one pie at a time, no multiple pieing

*Pies lexico* :D

Good bye thread !

*Opens mouth wide to receive the inbound apple pie, ooh, my favorite !* :liplick:
Thanks, Mike ! *tosses an apple in Mike's direction*
I'd love to go on, but not on this thread, Mike. I hope you understand; there would be happier places where food deserves to be shared, but not here.
Thanks for the thought though. ;-)
*leaves this thread for good*
🙂

Mycernius said:
Somewhere along the line this thread became very tense and almost insulting. I think it is about time it went back to the original topic and less of the insults and flaming.

Instead lets throw virtual pies at each other.
Rules: You can't throw a pie at whoever has thrown one at you.
Only one pie at a time, no multiple pieing

*Pies lexico* :D

I'd rather throw soft, fluffy pillows than pies. They're more fun anyway (especially plushie ones based off of anime/manga characters).

Doc

I lost track of this thread, but I've been meaning to answer forever:

Tsuyoiko says:

"Geek is my type! If someone looks intelligent they automatically get more points! Like Michael Shanks (Daniel in Stargate SG1), Takeshi Kaneshiro and the British journalist Louis Theroux 😊 "

I agree! Louis Therous is the classic Geek! Smart, funny, brave, soulful, wears glasses, plays guitar but not too well and all those other things that makes geeks so special. Major-ly attractive. And his show was soooo brilliant! I wonder if he had other shows in the UK? Besides the one they showed in the US? I will have to check out his brother Justin too, thanks Rich! I didn't know he had a brother.

Also Takeshi Kaneshiro - never heard of him, but a Japanese geeky guy - cool! Can't wait to check him out. I haven't seen Stargate SG1 tho.

Tsuyoiko:

"I know what you mean. I can think someone is a 'pretty boy' or whatever, but they do nothing for me. But people who are beautiful can be beautiful in the way that they are just nice to look at, and you don't want to know any more than that. I would put Keanu Reeves in that category.[/QUOTE]"

Keanu Reeves is a good example. He's ok and nice looking but I don't find him that interesting. But Edward Furlong is beautiful and also a very talented actor with alot of soul, perhaps too much soul for his own good. He's Russian/Mexican btw, interesting mix.

I also agree with all you peeps who like glasses. Like Jarvis looks very nice with glasses.

I love people who like glasses! *gives you all candy* I'm wearing mine today, just for a change. Glasses rule! 👍

Doc said:
Okay the dating sites and services; what is your personal opinion about them?
I was not for such sites before, but one year and a half ago, my father went to sail in the endless sea, and let my mother alone (at the age of 58). Recently she could oversomething her pain (sorry, can't remember the english verb...), and start to smile again. And I don't know if it's good or not, but her behaviour changed when my sister paid her a limited access to a meeting site (Meetic, for the people who know). From then, I feel as if she noticed that life was not over.

So yes, for at least that particular reason, meeting sites are good I think.

WARNING: OFFTOPIC, AND A BIT J-POP
Limonette said:
Also Takeshi Kaneshiro - never heard of him, but a Japanese geeky guy - cool! Can't wait to check him out. I haven't seen Stargate SG1 tho.
Actually, Takeshi is classically beautiful, and only half (or a quarter?) Japanese, but he speaks 5 languages, and has this deep look to him.
1. Takeshi Kaneshiro
2. Michael Shanks

Attachments

• takeshi.jpg
    takeshi.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 62
  • michael.jpg
    michael.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 64
Mamoru-kun said:
I was not for such sites before, but one year and a half ago, my father went to sail in the endless sea, and let my mother alone (at the age of 58). Recently she could oversomething her pain (sorry, can't remember the english verb...), and start to smile again. And I don't know if it's good or not, but her behaviour changed when my sister paid her a limited access to a meeting site (Meetic, for the people who know). From then, I feel as if she noticed that life was not over.

So yes, for at least that particular reason, meeting sites are good I think.

Hmm, that's a very understandable and valid reason I suppose. Oh and thanks for putting this thread back on topic. 👍

Doc

Tsuyoiko said:
WARNING: OFFTOPIC, AND A BIT J-POP

Actually, Takeshi is classically beautiful, and only half (or a quarter?) Japanese, but he speaks 5 languages, and has this deep look to him.
1. Takeshi Kaneshiro
2. Michael Shanks

*looks at Takeshi Kaneshiro picture*

It's days like this where I wish I has that physcially beautiful. :( Then I realize that I'm happy with what God gave me; an intelligent and reasonable mind and a firey personality. :)

Doc 🙂

Doc said:
*looks at Takeshi Kaneshiro picture*

It's days like this where I wish I has that physcially beautiful. :( Then I realize that I'm happy with what God gave me; an intelligent and reasonable mind and a firey personality. :)

Doc 🙂

There you go, Doc. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom