What's new

Gun control laws in the US

"It simply takes more thought and energy to stab someone, and yes an officer of the law would have more strength and experience to stop such an assault."

Good luck finding an officer when you're attacked. Of course, you might be a movie star or other rich liberal who can hire his own private bodyguards.

TimRoberts, you seem to forget that some of the ideas for reducing gun violence have been offered here by me.

I do have a hard time understanding urbanites' fear of guns. Automobiles misused by human beings wreck far more damage in our societies. I guess you don't want to ban those. Guns you do, simply because you personally don't see much use in them.

There's a big split in urban and rural America on the gun issue. I grew up near fields and farms west of Columbus, Ohio. My first memory of a gun was when my Dad used one to shoot a woodchuck (a large, ground-tunneling rodent) that was undermining one of the sheds on my grandpa's farm. I bought my first shotgun (with money earned from part-time jobs) when I was 15. When I got home from high school, I'd grab my gun, hunting coat, and dog, walk half a kilometer, and be hunting for rabbits and pheasants in a few minutes.

Guns and hunting are a big part of my family culture and heritage. I don't expect urbanites to understand, but they shouldn't be holding their breath waiting for me to change my perspective either.

Back
Top Bottom