What's new

Graduate International research student??

queries.my

後輩
14 Apr 2009
Hi

I wanted to know if there is any age limit for people doing a phd in Japan? The MEXT scholarship mentions age should be under 35. So, older people who want to do phd in Japan can't?? Is this age limit for the scholarship and for the phd as well?

What about Graduate International research student??

Iam 38 :) based at Singapore and hold Masters degrees from NUS, Singapore.

I wanted to try a short term course like the 2 year International research student, but didn't expect the age limits :(

Is there any other scholarship like MEXT which doesn't impose any age limit?

Thanks

I don't think there is a top limit of age in doing phD in Japan. However, you should be at least 24 years old when you apply for phD in Japan.

The 35 years old limit is only apply for the MEXT Scholarship applicants.

Try the JASSO website.
独立行政法人日本学生支援機構

You can find many related information in the main page.

Good luck! :)

Thanks Kouki for your reply and wishes.
This webpage studyjapan.go.jp mentions about the qualifications needed for MEXt scholarshps for Research Students

<quote>
1)Research students
You must be under 35 years of age and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates). Or you must have completed 16 years of schooling.
</quote>

I have 16 years of schooling, am a Master's student. Does that mean I qualify under MEXT itself? :?

Thanks Kouki for your reply and wishes.
This webpage studyjapan.go.jp mentions about the qualifications needed for MEXt scholarshps for Research Students

<quote>
1)Research students
You must be under 35 years of age and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates). Or you must have completed 16 years of schooling.
</quote>

I have 16 years of schooling, am a Master's student. Does that mean I qualify under MEXT itself? :?

I've checked the site myself, and found both English and Japanese explanation are not accurate and mis-leading.

It seems that what they really mean to say is
(1) You must be under 35 years of age,
and
(2) a college graduate (includes prospective graduates) or you must have completed 16 years of schooling.

ドメインパーキング
You can see this diagram (linked from the same page you quoted), and according to it, I'm sorry to say you're not qualified as you're over 35 years old....
:(

Perhaps it is different in Singapore then... since you all have the national service for two years. But in the studyjapan webpage, I think I read thatmust be BOTH under 35 years of age and have completed 16 years of schooling. I think that 'or' applies of the college graduate.

Try confirming with the embassy of Japan in your country. Sometimes different sets of rules apply in different countries.

Thanks Undrentide

Sometimes there are differences when translating between languages. Bad Luck for me :(

Kouki

Thanks, I'll have to check up with Japanese embassies in Singapore & India. Iam a Singapore PR, originally from India. I didn't follow when you said " Perhaps it is different in Singapore then"

What is different in Singapore??

Anyway, for me, looks like MEXT is out of the window :(

I found kind of contrasting information about what an International Research student is. One of the scholarship's website indicates that it is like a short term exchange student who comes to study Japanese language/culture. The website also says that an International Research student would be somebody who is doing a phD and has somehow exceeded the time limit for the doctoral course and is hence an International Research student for the short term until the phd studies get completed. Is that correct?

I thought that the Intn' Research studentship is like an internship in a lab in a University where you get to do project(s) for/ work with a professor. By the way, what are the outputs of this? Do paper/publications etc happen as a result of this?

I know, too many questions asked... Iam confused :?

The Graduation for International research students (The age must be under 35 years) women or men is available at Shinshu University (Nagano Prefecture, Japan) for three years to work on rivers or sediment issues, e.g. catchment and river morphology, sediment budgets or step-pool sequences 185,000 yen per month is supplied for living expenses plus about 200,000 yen per year for research budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.They are not allowed to ask your age because of discrimination laws. No age limits for Phd so you can apply for it and actually I am doing dissertation in law and I have referred many law dissertation topics, and it was very interesting. Law dissertation papers are a critical part in the scholarly advancement of a law understudy. Good dissertations might even be published.

well i was looking for scholarships and i found a great one in Taiwan full funded one you should look for it, you may want to try also rotary scholarships

Back
Top Bottom