What's new

Girls hoops team seeks forfeit after 100-0 win

maushan3

Back home
1 Feb 2007
DALLAS (AP) - A high school girls basketball team that beat an opponent 100-0 has a case of blowout remorse.

The winning school now says it wants to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," the head of the school said Thursday on The Covenant School's Web site. He added that Covenant has made "a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss."

Covenant, a private Christian school in Dallas, defeated Dallas Academy 100-0 last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."
Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school sports in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes and head of school Kyle Queal did not immediately respond to messages left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised the Dallas Academy players for "strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said, referring to the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

I was just shocked at this and think the coach on the winning side should be fired for letting such thing happen. There's no more sportsmanship anymore.

What do you think?

Mauricio

Yeah, the coaches of the winning team should have done something at some point. However, if the girls on the losing teams were anything like me, they'd feel insulted if the winning team who beat them fair and square releases an official apology and forfeits the game. Is it just me? I mean, these girls are not 6 years old but highschoolers.

They have good attitudes!

The news here had a piece about them. They all seemed upbeat and not too upset at being beat. I guess their team has not won a game in 5 years, but they all had hopes they might win someday.Their attitude seemed to be the team was a fun thing about spirit and not about winning. In the interviews, they all seemed super happy and were positive about the future.

Uncle Frank

👍

When I was a kid I played in a soccer league, and at one game we only had 8 players, which meant no substitutions and we'd still be 2 players short. Our coach asked the opposing team if they'd match us on the field (by shorting two positions, as they had about 16 players), so our only disadvantage would be no subs. They refused and we played the game anyways cause we didn't care if they were poor sports.

Yeah, some people are just jerks. We still had fun though.

I too when I was in elementary school, my shcool's team was the worst. I was there for 3 years and only had 2 wins on that span. I remember beatings of up to 10-0. I took it seriously but don't remember being too sad about it. After the games, we all just went to hang out somewhere. It was fun. Didn't hurt me a lot, anyways.

In regard to this, in the article it says that the girls were even pressing the other team and stoping at the 3-point line to make 3-pointers. That's just wrong. The winning teams' girls are not guilty of this, they are just following the coach's orders. The coach is the one ho should have played the JV team or all-substitutes or whatever to give them a chance to play and even with subs, they should have all been passing and running out time, in my opinion.

A team I like to see play is Butler University. They are a good time and they have a classy custom of, when winning the game by 10 or more points at the end, they just run out the shot clock and give the ball by the turnover.
Not even New England last year did that, beating the Buffalo Bills by 50 or so-points.

Mauricio

Back
Top Bottom