What's new

Forum for American Issues?

sabro

後輩
23 Apr 2004
I thought I might bring up this request again. It has been a few months, but we have so many members from the US and American issues often seem to overlap and affect Japanese issues and occasionally I would like to see how this eclectic group would respond.

There kind of is, except it's over at Eupedia. Or at least there's a section devoted entirely to American issues. But I don't think it's really all that necessary to have an American forum, because this forum is all about Japan.

I think this kind of this should be discussed in the Chit chat section! This forum is mainly about Japan, that's one of the reasons you got the split of Eupedia and the China forum...

I, in my personal opinion, would like to keep it like this!

I wouldn't mind seeing an US-section, I think that would be pretty interesting.. Then we would have fora on all three regions of the Triad (3 biggest economic regions of the world: US, Europe and Japan).

Not for me !

Between the newspaper and TV, I hear more then I want to know on the US, and it always seems bad. It seems most of the US members here on JREF would prefer to live in Japan and forget about the US, LOL.

Uncle Frank

😊

Between the newspaper and TV, I hear more then I want to know on the US, and it always seems bad. It seems most of the US members here on JREF would prefer to live in Japan and forget about the US, LOL.

Ditto Frank.

The main reason for the split in the first place was too many people complaining that there was no reason for an "American Issues" sub forum on a forum focused on Japan. Thus Eupedia was born and American issues as well as European issues, are now discussed there.

We have discussed this before and decided that JREF should be only about Japan, which is why other cats were moved to Eupedia.

No. This forum is for Japan-related issues. An American issues forum would only invite people to post on American issues, whether they have any relation to Japan or not.

Having Eupedia and its subfora as part of JREF for the two years that it was here was fundamentally an aberration. It was never the original intent of this forum and going back isn't going to somehow foster an ideal that never was or recreate a community feel and atmosphere that has long vanished. :(
Besides, how many American forums have sections on Japan or Europe ? It's totally illogical and unrealistic.

It is heartening to see how many members are supportive of the split in retrospect, though. ;)

Last edited:
That sounds fair enough. It was just that we had some good discussions before the split on the American Issues forum, and Japan and the US do have overlapping issues. It does make sense however that this is a Japan related forum and the US is not in Japan. There are plenty of American forums for discussing American issues. You don't however get the diversity of opinion that a discussion here would find.

(The US isn't in Europe either.)

You can always post it in the chit chat section Sabro... just don't overload it with American theads haha

My beloved country... There isn't a whole lot to talk about... politics? Sports? Celebrities? Fast food?

Today I am in Orlando, Florida.

That sounds fair enough. It was just that we had some good discussions before the split on the American Issues forum, and Japan and the US do have overlapping issues. It does make sense however that this is a Japan related forum and the US is not in Japan. There are plenty of American forums for discussing American issues. You don't however get the diversity of opinion that a discussion here would find.
(The US isn't in Europe either.)
But the US has overlapping interests with virtually every country and region -- and that isn't meant to be a political statement. :p
Some forums allow very limited to none off-topic areas, others are quite extensive depending on the owners, size, member interest, etc.

So is Orlando's Disney Resort fully decked out with preparations to greet an celebrate their Christmas Day guests ? The thought is almost as unnerving and unpleasant as my general image of the city and state of Florida itself...:eek:

This is Japan-forum first and foremost,I can't understand why there is China sub-forum and discussions on NON-Japan topics.

We are here for Japan,nothing else but Japan.

Yea but varity is the spice if life ^^ hmmm American Forum well there is a Europrdia forum so i think its only fair ^^

BUT on the other hand this is a forum for Japan so does it really nesasary?

If there were a U.S. Forum, experience tells us that it would too often degenerate into U.S. bashing. No, it isn't necessary.

Maybe a good idea, maybe not. This site is all I get for intelligent political conversation, even if it's limited to international/Japan. I would enjoy discussing my countries events with my people, and would especially enjoy hearing the views of other country's people. But, it is true that it may just be bashing the U.S. and not really have a valuable point at all. Take a vote.

I agree with a number of people that already posted no to a US forum.
This is a Japan and Japan-related forum.

--Since Japan is a part of the world and it seems the forum is primarily aimed towards non-native Japanese (or at least frequented by), international discussions are obvious and a given, whether they are in regards to war & peace - in Japan or its immediate neighbors or troops abroad, foreign military forces in Japan, international economic issues including organizations Japan might belong to such as World Trade Organization and including effects that rich countries like Japan (& others) have on poorer countries, Okinawans living in Brazil, as well as the global trade in anime and video games.

my 2 1/2 cents

It is actually kind of a sad commentary that if someone started an independent US forum on the web (for English speakers), that international discussions would be almost nil. On the contrary, it would probably be hyper-jingoistic & self-congradulatory.

on the other hand....
given the US's global reach, and the effects its policies have on the rest of the world,
---back in 2000 a guest (Gerald Celente of Trends Research Institute, I think) was on the radio, he said the rest of the world wished they had a vote in the US presidential elections since who is in there affects them so much as well.
---maybe a sub-forum on global empire? ha. which Japan, as any other country, is under. imagine if Japan decided to make peace with NKorea and/or decided to have economic policy that did not allow or highly limited corporations (different from regular businesses) from other countries. ha.

(okay, 4 1/2 cents) i'm fine with whatever.

I think there is no need to expand this forum by making a discussion lounge for American issues. A link to an American forum will be more than enough.

Personally, I would like Maciamo to make the list of links to the forums of different countries on the 'title' page of this forum. If you want to discuss Russian issues, you will click a link to a Russian forum. If you want to discuss German issues, you will click a link to a German forum. If you want to discuss Zimbabwean issues, you will click a link to a Zimbabwean forum. Et cetera...

For example:

English forum

French forum

German forum

Russian forum

Et cetera...

I think it is not so bad idea...

Not a bad idea, crazy russian. I suppose this site should stay solely Japanese, and whatever American issues that concern Japan can be in one of the other forums. It would be nice to have a link to a forum for American issues. The only thing that dissappoints me is that that forum may only be full of Americans. Whatever happens, I can live without a U.S. forum.

No American-sub-fora please, i'm british. *sips a cup of tea, raised pinky and all*.

No point explaining why I say this, everyone else has already covered the reasons.

Back
Top Bottom