What's new

Fluids at Tokyo Airport?

Pepe

先輩
18 Jun 2006
We're passing through Narita again at the end of the year and I was wondering if they still have the silly liquids restrictions? It's only a stopover and I was hoping to take an assortment of beers with me from Japan.

I'm so sick of being treated like a potential terrorist, not a paying customer.

Crap - thanks for that. For some reason I couldn't find the info on the Narita website. Ah well, maybe we should move there for a year or two, would give me the opportunity to sample some of what Japanese breweries have to offer.

Thanks again.

100ml in a sealed bag. I don't really see the drama in not being able to bring beer in your hand luggage as it'll warm up anyways.
You can also just try and send beer via postal ways.

As for being treated like a criminal, those bastards at Narita went through my luggage just because of a tattoo. Guess a legally purchased tattoo of a legal symbol is a guarantee for illegal activities...

100ml in a sealed bag. I don't really see the drama in not being able to bring beer in your hand luggage as it'll warm up anyways.
You can also just try and send beer via postal ways.

We're only stopping over, and as such our luggage is getting checked straight through to our final port (Italy), as I cannot be arsed dragging our luggage all over Narita. As for mail - have you seen what it costs?!? Beer is heavy!

Well, can't have everything in life. You either do it the way it's possible, or you don't do it at all...

I never got what the point of that liquid restriction law was anyway. Not knowing they existed, I think I chugged a red bull the fastest I have in my life when I got to that point.

I never got what the point of that liquid restriction law was anyway. Not knowing they existed, I think I chugged a red bull the fastest I have in my life when I got to that point.
there was a failed attempt to secrete explosives in liquids carried onto a transatlantic flight out of the UK a couple of years ago: hence the amounts now able to be carried through security are restricted....is it not world wide?? We have the restrictions leaving Australia, and I've only travelled to Japan and the US since..I assumed it was everywhere....

As a general rule forget about trying to carry on-board any beverage whatsoever. Anyway - who takes drinks on a plane? Every international flight departing Japan will keep you well tanked up. I have to remember to STOP drinking alcohol once I reach the Urals so I'll be sober enough to drive for three hours when I eventually reach Heathrow. Fortunately, transfers at Frankfurt have a very sobering effect - the extra security checks for UK-bound passengers prior to boarding leave no crevice unexplored!

BTW Flying next Monday and gawd don't the looks of resentment on my students' faces make me wish I wasn't. I've run out of interesting tidbits about how I need to practice speaking 'real English' for two weeks (yes of course I know that's a joke - UKlanders these days speak with all the refinement of a fart in a spacesuit). I'm now at the "...quit your job, forget about saving for your dream wedding – it'll never happen anyway, get your arse overseas and live life a little...don't worry...your keitai will still work." (Too much perhaps????)

--

We're passing through Narita again at the end of the year and I was wondering if they still have the silly liquids restrictions? It's only a stopover and I was hoping to take an assortment of beers with me from Japan.
I'm so sick of being treated like a potential terrorist, not a paying customer.

It is my understanding that only booze you can purchase and take with you as carry-on is from the duty free shops. And I don't remember ever seeing beer at any duty free shops (alcohol level too low). Even if you can find any at any of the gift shops at the airport, you'll need to check such items before you can board your flight. If you purchase any alcohol at a duty free store, such items can only be handed to you at the boarding gate, and you will not be allowed to open the bottles while on board your flight. You can only drink only the alcoholic beverages your flight attendants serve you during you flight.

When I stated 'beverage' I should have clarified that to mean something other than tax-free wines and spirits which of course you can still purchase in the departure lounge.

The last time I picked up a bottle of port the shop placed my purchase in a plastic bag and then sealed it shut stapling the receipt to the outside. I was allowed to carry the bottles around the airport with me.

--

I was hoping to take a few different brands of Japanese beer with me to Italy to share with my father in law (pending), but alas, I guess I'll have to stick with Japanese whisky (not bad either, but that'll be more up my alley than his).

You can only drink only the alcoholic beverages your flight attendants serve you during you flight.

Is this really true? An aeroplane isn't a nightclub. I thought you could consume any foodstuffs which you can legally take onto the plane.

To the OP: if you're dead-set on taking some Japanese beer with you to Italy you can simply purchase some cans at the small cafes near the departure gates at Narita. Anything purchased beyond your baggage security check can be carried onto the plane. Or you could even buy/ask for some cans on the plane.

Aside: Not sure if you're father-in-law would be impressed with the bog-standard stuff you'd find in the cafes though... sickly fluorescent yellow Kirin, Sapporo or Asahi! It's a shame you can't get hold of some excellent microbrewery stuff, such as Yona Yona. And why take him whisky? If he's looking forward to some Japanese booze, sure sake (nihonshu) or shouchu would be better? You can defintely buy this in duty-free.

Back
Top Bottom