What's new

Tokyo to Fukuoka on Shinkansen

arbc11800

後輩
24 May 2007
I have a question. I will be coming to Japan in August. I will land in Narita, then go to Fukuoka (ultimately Kumamoto) by Shinkansen. Would it be cheaper to get a rail pass, or just buy a ticket there? Also, how long of a ride is it?

I have a question. I will be coming to Japan in August. I will land in Narita, then go to Fukuoka (ultimately Kumamoto) by Shinkansen. Would it be cheaper to get a rail pass, or just buy a ticket there? Also, how long of a ride is it?
I made this trip in April. I used the Rail Pass. Like Mike Cash said, figure about 7 hours. In Fukuoka, the last stop of the Shinkansen is at Hakata station, where you can take the train to Kumamoto. The Rail Pass will be good for this line also. The Hikari Shinkansen goes from Tokyo to Fukuoka, with a change of trains at Shin-Osaka.

Once you arrive at Hakata, you can take the Tsubame express to Shin-Yatsushiro, where you can ride the Kyuushuu Shinkansen all the way to Kagoshima.

It's the best way to go if your destination is Kagoshima. If you're only going to Kumamoto, I believe what ArmandV is saying is correct: you can ride the Tsubame express from Hakata.

I took this route to go to the suwa-mushi (sand baths) in ibusuki about a month ago.

If you look at the thread on rail travel in Japan Travel - Rail travel in Japan
you'll find a link Japan Rail's own site that has timetables, fare info and details on the rail pass.

Do you arrive at Narita what time?

成田→熊本

What time do the trains stop running in Japan?
Around midnight for Shinkansen. Track maintenance every night until 6am when the first train starts running. That means night-departure ones just stop running as it gets real late. For instance the last one leaving Tokyo around 10:30pm terminates at Mishima.

That makes the planning more complicated: it might be just 7 hours between Tokyo and Hakata, but hours more needed for rides from Narita to Tokyo, and Hakata to Kumamoto. Three transfers will be necessary, adding waiting/connection time, it will take a whole day.

It will be no problem if the plane arrives in the morning, but it will become necessary to stay in a hotel somewhere inbetween (possibly at Fukuoka or Shin'osaka) if the Narita arrival is in the afternoon.
Using the rail pass might further limit the plan choices too.

Major part of train ride experience, looking at scenery through the window, will not be there either if rushing to the destination at night.
Taking a domestic airplane flight from Narita to Fukuoka, or Haneda to Kumamoto would be more practical if not interested in scenery.

Spending hours for meeting friends and/or sightseeing in Fukuoka, or just transfer there, is also an important factor for planning, where to stay for a night in particular.
Lastly, daytime highway bus between Fukuoka and Kumamoto can be convinient, since Kumamoto Bus Terminal is right in the downtown (train station is not.)

The most important is to enjoy the experience, not saving money with JR pass. It would also help not to make the schedule too tight, so that a few hours plane/train delays could be absorbed.

Last edited:
I should be landing in Narita round 3pm
If you are firm on taking the Shinkansen, you're best bet is to stay the night in Tokyo and then take the train to Fukuoka in the morning.
The Shinkansen round trip to Fukuoka from Tokyo and the other trains I rode in Kyushu on the Rail Pass saved me about a grand. From Fukuoka I went to Kumamoto. From Kumamoto I went to Nagasaki, then Sasebo and back to Fukuoka.

Last edited:
新幹線

I should be landing in Narita round 3pm
If you are firm on taking the Shinkansen, you're best bet is to stay the night in Tokyo and then take the train to Fukuoka in the morning.
Staying in a hotel in Tokyo would be the best if it is over-ten-hour non-stop flight from East Coast, because of the time lag and lack of deep sleep in the plane.
To check in the hotel, have supper, and just go to bed then the body will be fully adjusted to Japan local time next morning.
By the way it is sad that the famous Tokyo Station Hotel (right inside the station) is closed until 2011 for renovation…

If the flight is not that long, staying in Shin'osaka has three advantages:

• 3pm is not that late hour. Giving an hour for immigration&custom, it should be possible to take NEX around 4pm, which means arriving at Tokyo station at 5:30pm or so.
Adding a half hour to get to Shinkansen platform (taking 6pm-ish train,) Shin'osaka arrival should be around 9pm or so.

Leaving Shin'osaka in the early morning means arriving at Hakata a few hours earlier (Hakata by 9am if taking the 6am first train, for instance.) 8:30am-ish one still gets to Hakata before noon.

Make sure to take Hikari Rail Star (originating at Shin'osaka,) because "regular" Hikari from Tokyo terminates at Hiroshima or Okayama.

• Starting at Tokyo in the morning means 7-hour consecutive ride, which can be a little boring one toward the end. It would be nice to enjoy the second half in the morning time with refreshed condition, looking out scenary.

• The cost advantage. NEX (Narita-Tokyo,) Hikari (Tokyo-Shin'osaka,) Hikari Rail Star (Shin'osaka-Hakata) and Relay-Tsubame express (Hakata-Kumamoto) are all covered by the rail pass, instead of buying a Nozomi (Tokyo-Hakata without transfer) ticket separate.

It is highly recommended to buy ekiben (boxed lunch) before getting on Shinkansen at Tokyo station, because eating ekiben in the express train when travelling is almost ritual, which saves extra lunch/dinner time too.

Unfortunately ones sold at Tokyo station platforms are infamous for horrid taste.
Frequent Shinkansen riders (business trips, so forth) rather go to Daimaru department store (directly connected with the station) basement level (called DepaChika) for better quality and much wider selections.
Not just traditional Japanese bento there; sandwiches, desserts, just anything. Definitely worth stopping by.
Laggage can be safely stored during shopping time in one of coin-operated lockers; the locations are shown on the station layout map.

Spending an hour or so at Daimaru is still fine, it just means Shin'osaka arrival around 10pm.

Beverages including cold beer are available onboard, food carts go back and forth on the aisle, they sell snacks and some ekiben too.

There might not be many shops open at Shin'osaka early morning for buying breakfast; at least food carts in the train should have cofee&sandwich.

There are many hotels near Shin'osaka station, within walking distance. The closer the more expensive of course. It would be wise to reserve a room early, since it is summer vacation period.

Hope it helps,

Last edited:
I didn't find the 6-hour or so Shinkansen ride from Tokyo station to Fukuoka to be boring. I had reading material and my laptop with me to keep me occupied.

Back
Top Bottom