What's new

Exercise correction

Amylg05

Registered
4 Mar 2017
Hello all - I hope this isn't too much to ask, but I just completed an exercise from the Genki I work book on verb forms and I was wondering if someone could check and correct these for me. I will post the original verb forms from the book and write my attempts below! I did handwrite these in a notebook but I figured it would be easier to correct if I type them here :) Thank you in advance - self studying is hard when you have nobody to check and clarify things with :/

1. Nomimasu / nomimasen
2. Kikimasu / kikimasen
3. Mimasu / mimasen
4. Shimasu / shimasen
5. Hanasemasu (or haneseru?) / hanasemasen
6. Ikimasu / ikimasen
7. Kimasu / kimasen
8. Kaerimasu / kareimasen
9. Nerimasu / nerimasen
10. Yomimasu / yomimasen
11. Okimasu / okimasen
12. I have no idea? I know that benkyo is study but I have never seen it written with suru at the end like in this exercise! Benkyomasu? Benkyomasen?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 18.21.19.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 18.21.19.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 135
5, 8 and 9 are wrong, the others are correct.
In the case of <noun>する, you simply conjugate the する as though it stood on its own.

5, 8 and 9 are wrong, the others are correct.
In the case of <noun>する, you simply conjugate the する as though it stood on its own.
Well, ねる would be right if it were the godan verb 練る(to knead, to train, etc.), but without context in a beginner exercise it's certainly the ichidan verb 寝る (to sleep) so it's wrong.

Just pointing that out so the OP can see the kind of mistake it is, and hopefully not be too confused when another verb ending in る *does* conjugate that way.

(かえる is not the same kind of mistake, it does conjugate that way and is probably just a typo.)

12. I have no idea? I know that benkyo is study but I have never seen it written with suru at the end like in this exercise! Benkyomasu? Benkyomasen?

"Study" is both a noun and a verb in English, depending on how you use it:

I study Japanese: verb

The scientists released a study: noun
The study of human nature is fascinating: noun

In Japanese, "benkyou" does mean "study", but only in the noun sense. To use it as a verb, you have to compound it with "suru" ("shimasu"). There are many such words in Japanese where a noun has "suru") attached to convert it into a verb. Does the Genki textbook not explain this or make any mention of it?

Want to try #12 again? It is much easier than you thought.

Back
Top Bottom