What's new

English lessons in Japanese Schools

zeroyon

後輩
27 Oct 2004
I'm wondering if there are any English lessons taught in Japanese High Schools or Middle Schools available online for me to see. I started taking Japanese lessons a little while ago, and I am interested in seeing what kind of things Japanese students are taught while they are in school (particularly
English lessons). If someone has a link to some lessons, or has them on their hard drive and can send them, please reply here and let me know. Thank you! :)

Also, sorry if this topic has been posted before. I searched for a bit but could not find exactly what I was looking for. If this has been posted somewhere else on the forum, please PM me and delete this topic at will 😊

Well, I have taught in both HS and JHS and we never had any lessons available for posting on line. I could tell you about the "grammar" books they use if you are interested though. Not really interesting stuff either.

So recently I have been doing some listening practice, and learning a bit of how Enlgish grammar is taught in Japan on this site.

http://www.asunaro-online.com/others/kikukiku01.html

They are review lessons for middle school students aiming for their high school entry exams.

I laughed so hard when the presenter was saying the English sentences. No wonder Japanese often have trouble with pronounciation in English if this is how they are taught it. The native speaker on the end didn't quite make up for it. Retsu purei sakka!

I know the original post was a fair while ago, but I just thought that this interesting.

Yes, this kind of lectures is very common in Japan. But the problem is not only in its pronunciation. They mainly focus on the English grammers only and ignore practical things. The presenter repeatedly said how to discover the clues and utilize so-called "the rules" to create a grammatical sentence. This makes most students think of English as a certain kind of puzzles (like math), not as a way of communication. As a result, many students tend to think speaking ungrammatical English sentences is horribly embarrassing. I don't think Japanese people are particularly bad at learning foreign languages inherently, but this sort of trend makes them look even more shy and intimidated in front of gaijins.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I appreciate them.

KrazyKat: I see what you mean... that presenter was not very good, especially the native speaker in the kiku-e01.mp3 file. He slurs most of his speech and doesn't sound natural when he speaks at all! If you have any more things like that I would appreciate it.

Also, Hachiro, if you have the names of any of the grammar books, that would be great.

What i'm mostly looking for are worksheets and such though, so I can see the specific sentences and types of grammar they use at different grade levels. The ones on that asunaro-online site seem to be the type of thing im looking for, but the listening exercises are great too :D

Back
Top Bottom