What's new

English Board placement

cloa513

後輩
28 May 2016
少人数指導室の前に英語の掲示板が置いた.

I am trying express that my English board is placed in front of that room- is this the right expression?. My understanding is that room's name means small class guidance room.

が indicates the subject, so 掲示板が置いた shows that the board is the agent; the board put (something). Also, 少人数指導室の前 usually refers to "in front of the door of the room", i.e., corridor/passage.

The English board is just pages attached to pre-existing board on the front of the room that you put thumb tacks into. What would young children understand- Preschoolers? Its for the school newsletter.

My guess is that the sentence announcing where to find the English board will be written in the newsletter. Assuming the board is on the door of the room, perhaps ...英語の掲示板が小人数指導室の前に置いてあります?

No, no. Serious question. Cloa513 said:
What would young children understand- Preschoolers?
So I was going to say forget about using any kanji whatsoever, but I wasn't sure about the intended audience for the sign.

No, no. Serious question. Cloa513 said:
So I was going to say forget about using any kanji whatsoever, but I wasn't sure about the intended audience for the sign.

Oh, I see!

I was too hung up contemplating the nature of Japanese learning in this high tech era when people can write relatively difficult stuff like that before they learn が or the nature of transitive/intransitive verbs. He didn't seem terribly interested in correcting the grammatical error, which could be done using several very basic constructions.

Do you mean you put English school newsletters on the board?
Why would think that I said for the newsletter- I was giving context to the Japanese expression- where I want to present it- on this primary school (in Japan) 's newsletter- I suppose if they allow me enough space I could make a diagram but doubling up with words would be good. I don't have English school newsletters. The "board" is on the outside of the front wall of the room.

Oh, I see!

I was too hung up contemplating the nature of Japanese learning in this high tech era when people can write relatively difficult stuff like that before they learn が or the nature of transitive/intransitive verbs. He didn't seem terribly interested in correcting the grammatical error, which could be done using several very basic constructions.
Don't confuse length with simplicity. The English articles are short but the rules for usage are complex and a fair bit of what sounds right.

I want to know right Japanese verb that I should be using for starters. Use of particles is rather complex. The audience is children from preschooler to Year 6 (and possibly their teachers) though the higher years are more likely to be personally introduced to the position of the board. The room that I use is right next to the room mainly used for verbal English

I want to know right Japanese verb that I should be using for starters. Use of particles is rather complex.

Given that our introduction to you was a post in which you were attempting to translate a song I sort of assumed you had completed at least an introductory Japanese course and knew the difference between が and を, for example. There's nothing particularly complex about that distinction in usage.

You can express what you want to say with a variety of constructions:

AにBがある
BはAにある
BはAだ

Those are examples of the basic constructions I was talking about. Simple and handy.

If you want to use some other construction making use of a verb, try 貼る / 貼り付ける / 掲げる / 展示する

I'm not entirely clear where the location is. Do you mean it is inside the classroom or that it is posted in the hallway outside the classroom?

Given that our introduction to you was a post in which you were attempting to translate a song I sort of assumed you had completed at least an introductory Japanese course and knew the difference between が and を, for example. There's nothing particularly complex about that distinction in usage.

You can express what you want to say with a variety of constructions:

AにBがある
BはAにある
BはAだ

Those are examples of the basic constructions I was talking about. Simple and handy.

If you want to use some other construction making use of a verb, try 貼る / 貼り付ける / 掲げる / 展示する

I'm not entirely clear where the location is. Do you mean it is inside the classroom or that it is posted in the hallway outside the classroom?
Hallway on the wall of the classroom- where its accessible to all students. The posters are placing using thumb tacks.

So, what are you going to put on the school board? Papers that students can write something? (I think you should have given us the detailed information in your initial post in the first place if you want to ask us for the correct translation.)
Possibly a space to write on- the great majority of students couldn't write a character- maybe the higher grades could copy a word. There are at least one or two with good English writing ability. Definitely I will include pictures and reading and other fun stuff.

Do you understand why 掲示板が置いた is incorrect? Do you intend to try the sentence again? Do you understand the use of the simple patterns I suggested earlier? Have you studied basic Japanese grammar?

Do you understand why 掲示板が置いた is incorrect? Do you intend to try the sentence again? Do you understand the use of the simple patterns I suggested earlier? Have you studied basic Japanese grammar?
Yes. I intend to rewrite the sentence. Yes. Yes but a long time ago with a lot complex expressions to cause me to forget it and not be sure in application.

Possibly a space to write on- the great majority of students couldn't write a character- maybe the higher grades could copy a word. There are at least one or two with good English writing ability. Definitely I will include pictures and reading and other fun stuff.
I would say 少人数指導室の前の掲示板に、英語用のスペースを作っておきました (past) or おきます (future).

I will go with that version in past form with kana transliteration, English equivalent and a simple map.

Back
Top Bottom