What's new

Employment in Japan?

Slugs

I know you...
27 May 2010
I'm planning to move to Japan as soon as possible, I'm just wondering, as an Irish 18 year old Male with 2 year's worth of Japanese language, how likely would it be for me to get a job in Japan?

Without a bachelor's degree I doubt you can get a job anywhere, especially with only two years of Japanese language learning under your belt. One of the easiest ways to get a job in Japan is through JET teaching English, but you need a bachelor's degree for that. I'm no expert on this topic and hopefully some more experience members can chime in on this.

Yes, someone already has mentioned the JET programme to me. That is my fall back, though it isn't looking likely atm :p

Just read through it there, it says:
Working Holiday visa holders can engage in any kind of job as long as their stay is deemed to be primarily a holiday in Japan. They may not, however, work in places where business is being regulated by the Law on Control and Improvement of Amusement and Entertainment Business, such as nightclubs and dance halls.

o_O That's a buzzkiller...

How about this, plan for a job first, then go to Japan once you have a job set up in some way. I know two people who are from China who got their masters IN JAPAN, speak perfect Japanese, and can't get a job. And you're telling me you're going to get a job after you step off the plane it seems... Good luck, and enjoy giving wasted money to the airline company.

Better start considering a realistic plan.

Thanks for such a helpful post, gave a lot of insightful tips there... Do you honestly think I'm going to just fly over and spend my time looking for a job...? That's why I'm posting now, to see what oppurtunities there're. Should really think clearly before condemning.

Thanks for such a helpful post, gave a lot of insightful tips there... Do you honestly think I'm going to just fly over and spend my time looking for a job...? That's why I'm posting now, to see what oppurtunities there're. Should really think clearly before condemning.

You're 18, and asking on an internet forum about how to get a job in Japan... with no real marketable skills, or education...

Go to college, first. Learn Japanese, first. Know what you even enjoy DOING as a career FIRST. Think about your escape to Japan WAY LATER.

I'm planning to move to Japan as soon as possible, I'm just wondering, as an Irish 18 year old Male with 2 year's worth of Japanese language, how likely would it be for me to get a job in Japan?
Not likely. Even with WHV, there aren't many choices for you to choose from.

Hmm. Dirty underware for 900yen. Tempting.

You're 18, and asking on an internet forum about how to get a job in Japan... with no real marketable skills, or education...

Go to college, first. Learn Japanese, first. Know what you even enjoy DOING as a career FIRST. Think about your escape to Japan WAY LATER.

This be a cold and uncaring universe.

I'm an English teacher here, and it's getting harder to find jobs here. A harder economy means less people are willing to spend money on English lessons. To get a job with a company, you'd need to make a contract for a year, and I'm not sure about this, but a bachelors degree is a requirement for a working visa, or companies feel that university educated teachers are a better bet to sponsor for a working visa (companies do have to pay for the working visa). I do know that most Japanese don't see those without degrees as people they don't take seriously.

The other way is to marry a Japanese, get to Japan, and find a job on a spousal visa, but be forewarned, divorcing in Japan can be next to impossible, and divorce in one country isn't recognized by other countries in a few rare instances. Trust me, you don't want to get into divorce, or marry the wrong Japanese chick just to get a visa. She may never let you go, or because she knows the system far better than you, run you in for a load of divorce money. Not a route to go unless she's really the one. They all look charming and cute, and some of them are.....

Back
Top Bottom