What's new

Being a foreign Doctor in Japan

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Shutainzu

後輩
Reaction score
And did he pass the national licensing exam for physicians in Japan?

I mean I'm guessing he had too? Haven't asked him but I'm guessing he'd have to to work in Japan anyway, I'm not to familiar with the whole thing. I just know he went over there for two months during the summer and then came back for a bit before going back out there to work as a trainee. I mean, going by his actual facebook pictures as well it seems like it he actually working as a doctor.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Facts are preferable to guesses, if you can obtain them, please.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Do you want me to just ask that or anything else is specific?

What specific medical profession (doctor, nurse, x-ray technician, etc) he attempted to enter in Japan and whether he sat and passed the national licensing exams/boards in Japan, please.

Topaazy

Registered
Reaction score
In any case, to enroll in a Japanese university, you will have to study the Japanese language to bring your proficiency to a quite good level so that you can follow the lectures in Japanese. Normally if you start from zero (or very basic level) it takes one or two years of full-time study for the language, so you are looking at paying tuition for a total of 8 years to graduate from a medical school in Japan.

Also, some professions are tied to national examinations/licenses, and medical doctor is one of them. So if you attend a medical school in Japan, get licensed as a medical doctor in Japan, then Japan will be where you practice.

If you attend a medical school in your country and get licensed in your country, I believe there is a way that you can sit for the Japanese national exam later - provided that the ministry considers your academic degree is equivalent to that in Japan, and also that you are fluent in Japanese.
p.s Thanks for STEP Eiken - Wikipedia -topazy Useful link!

Last edited:

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
In any case, to enroll in a Japanese university, you will have to study the Japanese language to bring your proficiency to a quite good level so that you can follow the lectures in Japanese. Normally if you start from zero (or very basic level) it takes one or two years of full-time study for the language, so you are looking at paying tuition for a total of 8 years to graduate from a medical school in Japan.

Not necessarily.

International University of Health and Welfare IUHW School of Medicine

Also, some professions are tied to national examinations/licenses, and medical doctor is one of them. So if you attend a medical school in Japan, get licensed as a medical doctor in Japan, then Japan will be where you practice.

Not necessarily. There are Japanese licensed medical doctors who practice medicine outside Japan.

If you attend a medical school in your country and get licensed in your country, I believe there is a way that you can sit for the Japanese national exam later - provided that the ministry considers your academic degree is equivalent to that in Japan, and also that you are fluent in Japanese.

Yes, there is a way and it is very clearly outlined on the MHLW website.

医師国家試験受験資格認定について|厚生労働省

Top Bottom